Calculating Buoyant Force for Submerged Materials

In summary: I appreciate your help!In summary, to find the buoyant force on a submerged object, one can use the equation Fb=p x V x g, where p is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, a block with a volume of 1 cubic meter and a mass of 8600 kg was submerged in water, resulting in a buoyant force of 9800 N.
astru025

Homework Statement

A cubic meter of some material has a mass of 8600 kg. The block of material is lowered into a lake by a strong cable until the block is completely submerged. What is the buoyant force on the block?

Homework Equations

Fb=p x V x g. P= density of fluid, density of water = 1000 kg/m^3. V=displacement volume. THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP. How do I find the displacement volume? I have looked everywhere in my notes and can't come up with it. g= 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 x V?? x 9.8
Need help finding V! Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
astru025 said:

Homework Statement

A cubic meter of some material has a mass of 8600 kg. The block of material is lowered into a lake by a strong cable until the block is completely submerged. What is the buoyant force on the block?

Homework Equations

Fb=p x V x g. P= density of fluid, density of water = 1000 kg/m^3. V=displacement volume. THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP. How do I find the displacement volume? I have looked everywhere in my notes and can't come up with it. g= 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 x V?? x 9.8
Need help finding V! Thanks so much.
$$F_{b}=ρ.V.g$$
here ##V## is the volume of part of the object immersed in water, in this case object is fully submerged. You already know what ##ρ## and ##g## is. I hope this helps!

So to find V would I use this equation: D=m/v. D= 1g/cm^3. M= 8600 kg. 1= 8600/V. V= 8600. Is this correct! Please answer back!

astru025 said:
So to find V would I use this equation: D=m/v. D= 1g/cm^3. M= 8600 kg. 1= 8600/V. V= 8600. Is this correct! Please answer back!

Numbers without units are meaningless, always indicate the units. Look always try to use standard units for calculation, other wise error creeps unknowingly sometimes. If you check carefully your units in answer of volume, units would be ##\frac{cm^3.kg}{g}##. Make adjustments so that units of mass cancel out. This is either ways not what you need to do.

Your question has already mentioned what the volume is:
A cubic meter of some material has a mass of 8600 kg.

My final answer for buoyant force needs to be in Newtons. So right now I have 1 g/cm^3 x V x 9.8 m/s^2. My value for V= 8600 kg?? So then my buoyant force would be 84820 g/cm^3 x kg x m/s^2? Is this correct. Or do I change 1 g/cm^3 to 1000 kg/m^3..

astru025 said:
My final answer for buoyant force needs to be in Newtons. So right now I have 1 g/cm^3 x V x 9.8 m/s^2. My value for V= 8600 kg?? So then my buoyant force would be 84820 g/cm^3 x kg x m/s^2? Is this correct. Or do I change 1 g/cm^3 to 1000 kg/m^3..

In what units volume is measured?...Think hard and answer.

I believe you didn't read the question nor my post carefully, or you have some doubt about the equation itself!
$$F_{b}=ρ.V.g$$
What does the variables in the above equation represent?

Edit: For force to be in Newtons, mass should be in ##kg## and volume in ##m^3##. Whenever you use a equation try to be consistent with the units, for example in the same equation you used ##\frac{g}{cm^3}## for density and ##kg## for mass, you should use same units of mass so that units of mass cancels out completely. Hence you should have used ##\frac{kg}{cm^3}## or ##\frac{kg}{m^3}## to cancel unit of mass or vice-versa.

Last edited:
p= density of fluid V=displaced volume and g= 9.8 m/s^2. Volume is measure in cubic units. Usually cubic centimeters or meters

Density of water is 1g/cm^3

astru025 said:
p= density of fluid V=displaced volume and g= 9.8 m/s^2. Volume is measure in cubic units. Usually cubic centimeters or meters
Yes, this is the displaced volume. How much volume is displaced if a block of given volume say, x, is submerged in water??

Last edited:
The volume is the same

astru025 said:
Density of water is 1g/cm^3

As I mentioned in my previous posts, use standard units. So,

Density of water is ##1.\frac{g}{cm^3}=1000.\frac{kg}{m^3}##

Read about SI units, so that you know which units to use when. And also check out "conversion using conversion factors" to be clear about conversion

astru025 said:
The volume is the same

which volume is the same, be specific?

The volume of the object before being submerged in water is the same as the volume of the object after it is submerged in water.

astru025 said:
The volume of the object before being submerged in water is the same as the volume of the object after it is submerged in water.

yes, true. But what is amount/volume of fluid displaced?

This is what I don't know. I know the answer is right in front of me , I just can't seem to think straight right now.

astru025 said:
This is what I don't know. I know the answer is right in front of me , I just can't seem to think straight right now.

How much volume of fluid is displaced if a block of given volume say, x, is submerged in water??

NihalSh said:
How much volume of fluid is displaced if a block of given volume say, x, is submerged in water??

The answer to this is if an object of volume ##x## is submerged in water then the volume of water displaced is also ##x##. Can you figure this out now?

It has been mentioned that volume of solid is ##1 m^3##

Thank you so much. I came up with 9800 N which proved to be correct.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is an upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How do you calculate buoyant force?

Buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the gravitational acceleration. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force?

The buoyant force is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the gravitational acceleration. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object placed in the fluid.

4. How can you use buoyant force to determine an object's density?

By measuring the buoyant force acting on an object in a fluid, its density can be calculated using the formula ρ = Fb / Vg, where ρ is the density, Fb is the buoyant force, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

5. How is buoyant force related to Archimedes' principle?

Buoyant force is directly related to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is the basis for understanding the concept of buoyancy.