1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Question Involving Resistors and Inductors

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the circuit below, if L=2.0 H, emf=10 V, R1=10 ohms, R2= 20 ohms, what is the current through each component

a) at the instant the switch is closed
    b)a long time after the switch is closed
    c) If after a long time the switch is reopened, what is the time constant for the current?

2. Relevant equations

V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

For a) I think the resistors are in series so equivalent resistance would be 30 ohms. Then I used V=IR to find a current of 0.33 A.

Could someone please check if a) is right and show me the steps to do the other parts. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The current you calculated for right after the switch is closed is correct. What about the current a long time after the switch is closed? What is an inductor's impedance at DC?

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    After a long time, the inductor will act like a piece of wire with no resistance so current would still be flowing through R1 but zero current would be in R2. The current in R1 would be I=10/10=1 A. Am I correct?

For part c, I know that the time constant is tau=L/R so do I just use L=2.0 H and R=0 ohms?

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4

berkeman

Yes, very good. :smile:

When the switch is opened, what is in parallel with the inductor? The inductor current cannot change instantly, so it will decay with what time constant?

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5
    R2 is in parallel with the inductor. I know that current decrease is represented by
    I(final)=I(initial)*e^(-t/τ).

7. Aug 5, 2014 #6

berkeman

Looks good!

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7
    So the time constant is τ=-t/ln(Ifinal/Iinitial)
    There is no value for part c?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted