Circuit Question Involving Resistors and Inductors

In summary, the current through each component in the given circuit is 0.33 A at the instant the switch is closed and 1 A after a long time. The time constant for the current after the switch is reopened is τ=-t/ln(Ifinal/Iinitial).
Jordan1361

Homework Statement

For the circuit below, if L=2.0 H, emf=10 V, R1=10 ohms, R2= 20 ohms, what is the current through each component

a) at the instant the switch is closed
b)a long time after the switch is closed
c) If after a long time the switch is reopened, what is the time constant for the current?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I think the resistors are in series so equivalent resistance would be 30 ohms. Then I used V=IR to find a current of 0.33 A.

Could someone please check if a) is right and show me the steps to do the other parts. Thanks!

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan1361 said:

Homework Statement

For the circuit below, if L=2.0 H, emf=10 V, R1=10 ohms, R2= 20 ohms, what is the current through each component

a) at the instant the switch is closed
b)a long time after the switch is closed
c) If after a long time the switch is reopened, what is the time constant for the current?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I think the resistors are in series so equivalent resistance would be 30 ohms. Then I used V=IR to find a current of 0.33 A.

Could someone please check if a) is right and show me the steps to do the other parts. Thanks!

The current you calculated for right after the switch is closed is correct. What about the current a long time after the switch is closed? What is an inductor's impedance at DC?

After a long time, the inductor will act like a piece of wire with no resistance so current would still be flowing through R1 but zero current would be in R2. The current in R1 would be I=10/10=1 A. Am I correct?

For part c, I know that the time constant is tau=L/R so do I just use L=2.0 H and R=0 ohms?

Jordan1361 said:
After a long time, the inductor will act like a piece of wire with no resistance so current would still be flowing through R1 but zero current would be in R2. The current in R1 would be I=10/10=1 A. Am I correct?

Yes, very good. :smile:

For part c, I know that the time constant is tau=L/R so do I just use L=2.0 H and R=0 ohms?

When the switch is opened, what is in parallel with the inductor? The inductor current cannot change instantly, so it will decay with what time constant?

R2 is in parallel with the inductor. I know that current decrease is represented by
I(final)=I(initial)*e^(-t/τ).

Jordan1361 said:
R2 is in parallel with the inductor. I know that current decrease is represented by
I(final)=I(initial)*e^(-t/τ).

Looks good!

So the time constant is τ=-t/ln(Ifinal/Iinitial)
There is no value for part c?

What is the difference between a resistor and an inductor?

A resistor is an electrical component that resists the flow of current, while an inductor is a component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

How do resistors and inductors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Resistors decrease the flow of current by creating resistance, while inductors can cause a delay in the flow of current due to their energy storage capabilities.

How are resistors and inductors connected in a circuit?

Resistors and inductors are typically connected in series or parallel in a circuit. In series, the components are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, they are connected side-by-side.

What is the relationship between resistance and inductance in a circuit?

The resistance and inductance in a circuit are inversely proportional. This means that as the resistance increases, the inductance decreases, and vice versa.

How do you calculate the total resistance and inductance in a circuit with multiple components?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, you can use the formula Rtotal = 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+...). To calculate the total inductance in a series circuit, you can use the formula Ltotal = L1 + L2 + ..., while in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Ltotal = 1/L1 + 1/L2 + ...