Finding Density of a Planet Using Period of Orbit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
surferdud3
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A satellite is in a circular orbit very close to the surface of a spherical planet. The period of the orbit is T = 1.78 hours.
What is density (mass/volume) of the planet? Assume that the planet has a uniform density.

Homework Equations



T[tex]^{2}[/tex]=4*PI^2*r^3/G*M
Density = Mass/Volume
Volume of Sphere = 4/3*PI*r^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I converted T into seconds, which I get 6408 seconds,

I have tried to solve for a single variable, but when I put it back into the equation, everything cancels out...

What should I do, I'm just super confused... :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So we have


[tex]T^2=\frac{4\pi^2 r^3}{GM}[/tex]

and we know [itex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex]


So if we divide the equation with T2 by 3, can we somehow factor out (4/3)πr3?