1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Derivative Using 'Definition of Derivative'

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    mv3l1y.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    As seen above in question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I substituted f(x) into the definition of derivative equation and then multiplied the expression by its conjugate, thus getting the expression in the following form:
    f'(a) = lim (a + h)2/3 - a2/3 / h [(a + h)1/3 + a1/3]
    ..........h→0

Now, from this point on, it's just algebra and I am having trouble manipulating this expression so that I can divide the "h" from the denominator. I know I am supposed to use the "hint" given in the question but how would I incorporate that into finding the answer?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, multiplying by the conjugate, doesn't work here because getting a difference of squares isn't helpful when working with the cube root.

Use the hint given.

Let [itex]a=\sqrt[3]{x+h}\,,[/itex] and [itex]b=\sqrt[3]{x}\ .[/itex]

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    I did that but it ended up getting to this expression after some simplifications:
    [ (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 - (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 ] / h
    as h → 0.

You can already see what the problem is here. The numerator results in 0, which is subsequently divided by h.

5. Sep 27, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what did you multiply by ?

You want to multiply [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+h}\,-\,\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] by something that results in cubing each of those terms. Right?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook