• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding Derivative Using 'Definition of Derivative'

Homework Statement

mv3l1y.jpg

Homework Equations

As seen above in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I substituted f(x) into the definition of derivative equation and then multiplied the expression by its conjugate, thus getting the expression in the following form:
f'(a) = lim (a + h)2/3 - a2/3 / h [(a + h)1/3 + a1/3]
..........h→0

Now, from this point on, it's just algebra and I am having trouble manipulating this expression so that I can divide the "h" from the denominator. I know I am supposed to use the "hint" given in the question but how would I incorporate that into finding the answer?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

mv3l1y.jpg

Homework Equations

As seen above in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I substituted f(x) into the definition of derivative equation and then multiplied the expression by its conjugate, thus getting the expression in the following form:
f'(a) = lim (a + h)2/3 - a2/3 / h [(a + h)1/3 + a1/3]
..........h→0

Now, from this point on, it's just algebra and I am having trouble manipulating this expression so that I can divide the "h" from the denominator. I know I am supposed to use the "hint" given in the question but how would I incorporate that into finding the answer?

Thanks.
Well, multiplying by the conjugate, doesn't work here because getting a difference of squares isn't helpful when working with the cube root.

Use the hint given.

Let [itex]a=\sqrt[3]{x+h}\,,[/itex] and [itex]b=\sqrt[3]{x}\ .[/itex]

I did that but it ended up getting to this expression after some simplifications:
[ (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 - (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 ] / h
as h → 0.

You can already see what the problem is here. The numerator results in 0, which is subsequently divided by h.

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I did that but it ended up getting to this expression after some simplifications:
[ (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 - (x + h)2/3(x)1/3 ] / h
as h → 0.

You can already see what the problem is here. The numerator results in 0, which is subsequently divided by h.
So, what did you multiply by ?

You want to multiply [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+h}\,-\,\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] by something that results in cubing each of those terms. Right?

Last edited: