Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding direction of a source using directional antenna?

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

Is it possible to find the direction of a source in 4 quadrants using directional antenna?
    I am thinking of setting up 4 directional antennas, facing to 4 quadrants, and they will receive the waves from the according quadrants.
    What do you guys think about this? And is there any easier way to find the direction of a source by receiving its EM wave? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

Afaik, this is a well established procedure and was an area of considerable research by the military, who have an obvious interest in locating the sources of radio emissions. Current day systems offer source bearings immediately as a matter of course, but I do not know the specific technique involved.

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

For around one hundred years folks have been detecting the direction of the source of radio signals. During a Google search using the terms “passive radio direction finding” I found this excellent history with examples within approximately twelve seconds:

“Radio Direction Finding”
    http://www.astrosol.ch/thisandthat/5379039a840e79e07/ [Broken]

This is only one of many more available to the searcher, if only the search effort is expended.
    Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook