1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding divergence/convergence by direct comparison test

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{n}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations Direct comparison test

3. The attempt at a solution Since the main factor in the equation is the exponent that would be changing as n goes to infinity, I know that from the p series as p > 1 the the series converges. So I know that I would be comparing the original equation to

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{2}[/itex]

And I know that I need to show:

0 [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{n}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{2}[/itex]

but I don't know how to show

[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{n}[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{1}[/itex]1/n[itex]^{2}[/itex]

mathematically. Would I just blatantly say that the original term is smaller than the p series just by looking at it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The comparison test requires you to show that

[tex] \left| \frac{1}{n^n} \right| \leq \left| \frac{1}{n^2} \right| [/tex]

for sufficiently large [itex]n[/itex]. Try to find nice factors that you can multiply both sides of the equation to compare something to 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook