1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding E field and charge density due to a potential given

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is an electrostatic potential, given by ## \phi(r)=\phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}## where ##\phi_0## and ##\alpha## are some constants.

A: Find the electric charge denisty ##\rho(r)## which produces this aforementioned potential.

A: What is the electric field ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})## due to this charge denisty?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\nabla^2 \phi = \frac{- \rho(\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}##
    ##\vec{E}(\vec{r}) = - \nabla \phi(\vec{r})##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Very new to this material so still am a bit confused and when I can use certain equations and relations etc.
    I have used the two equations in the section above, but am not sure if I can. For example the first equation the charge density is a function of the vector r whilst in my question it is just r; although I assume/hope that that just means that is is a constant charge density and the relation still holds in that case.

Also not sure if this is the most suitable section of the forum, so move if needed.

Anyway for A I have done
    [tex]
    \nabla^2 \phi = \frac{- \rho(r)}{\epsilon_0} \\
    \nabla \cdot \nabla \phi = \frac{-\rho(r)}{\epsilon_0} \\
    [/tex]

Then ## \nabla \phi## is ..
    [tex]
    \nabla \phi(r) = (\phi(r))' \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \\
    \nabla \phi(r) = -\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\vec{r}}{r} \\
    [/tex]

Then for ##\nabla^2 \phi =##...

[tex]
    \nabla \cdot (-\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\vec{r}}{r})
    [/tex]

Let ##a=-\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}## and ##\vec{B}= \frac{\vec{r}}{r}##

Then ## \nabla \cdot a \vec{B} = \vec{B} \cdot \nabla a + a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} ##

Then just ##\vec{B} \cdot \nabla a##

[tex]
    \vec{B} \cdot \nabla a = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \cdot - \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} = -\alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{r^2}{r^2} = -\alpha^2 e^{-\alpha r}
    [/tex]

Then for ##a \nabla \cdot \vec{B}##

[tex]
    \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \nabla \cdot r^{-1} \vec{r} = \vec{r} \cdot \nabla r^{-1} + r^{-1} \nabla \cdot \vec{r} \\
    \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \vec{r} \cdot - r^{-2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} + 3 r^{-1} = - \frac{r^2}{r^3} + r^{-1} = \frac{2}{r}
    [/tex]

So that ##a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} ##

So then ##\nabla^2 \phi = \vec{B} \cdot \nabla a + a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} ##

[tex]
    \nabla^2 \phi = - \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{- \alpha r} - \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} \\
    \nabla^2 \phi = \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(- \alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r}) = \frac{- \rho(r) }{\epsilon_0} \\
    \rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(\alpha^2 + \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
    [/tex]

And then for B I dont know if this is correct as it seemed to easy but...
    [tex]
    \vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = - \nabla \phi ( \vec{r} ) \\
    \vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}
    [/tex]

Any help or advice is very much appreciated! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be much easier if you used the known expressions for the divergence and/or Laplacian in spherical coordinates. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

However, your method will work. But it looks like you might have made a couple of minor errors.

Did you make a sign error on the right?

Another sign error going from the first to second equation shown above?

Check whether the factor of ##\alpha^2## is correct in the last equation.

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3
    Ah, yes it looks like I did, thanks! Also kept forgetting to type the phi zero factor before all the exp's.

Yes, so that and with the above error corrected aswell the last part shold be..

[tex]
    \nabla^2 \phi = \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{- \alpha r} - \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} \\
    \nabla^2 \phi = \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}( \alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r}) = \frac{- \rho(r) }{\epsilon_0} \\
    \rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{\alpha r}(\alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
    [/tex]

Oops yeah should only be alpha, and again I forgot the phi zero,

So that should be
    [tex]
    \vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = - \nabla \phi ( \vec{r} ) \\
    \vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}
    [/tex]

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe that's the correct expression for the electric field.

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5
    Thank you. I just edited my reply, when I first posted it half of my reply got caught in the quote tags.

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good except for a sign error in the exponent of ##e##.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7
    Ah yeah, I think that one was just a typo, the others were proper sign errors haha. Thanks for taking a look! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted