Finding E field and charge density due to a potential given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric charge density and electric field due to a given electrostatic potential. The equations used are the Laplace equation and the definition of the electric field. The method used involves using known expressions for the divergence and Laplacian in spherical coordinates. Some minor sign errors were made but the final expressions for the charge density and electric field are correct.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

There is an electrostatic potential, given by ## \phi(r)=\phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}## where ##\phi_0## and ##\alpha## are some constants.

A: Find the electric charge denisty ##\rho(r)## which produces this aforementioned potential.

A: What is the electric field ##\vec{E}(\vec{r})## due to this charge denisty?

Homework Equations

##\nabla^2 \phi = \frac{- \rho(\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}##
##\vec{E}(\vec{r}) = - \nabla \phi(\vec{r})##

The Attempt at a Solution

Very new to this material so still am a bit confused and when I can use certain equations and relations etc.
I have used the two equations in the section above, but am not sure if I can. For example the first equation the charge density is a function of the vector r whilst in my question it is just r; although I assume/hope that that just means that is is a constant charge density and the relation still holds in that case.

Also not sure if this is the most suitable section of the forum, so move if needed.

Anyway for A I have done
[tex]
\nabla^2 \phi = \frac{- \rho(r)}{\epsilon_0} \\
\nabla \cdot \nabla \phi = \frac{-\rho(r)}{\epsilon_0} \\
[/tex]

Then ## \nabla \phi## is ..
[tex]
\nabla \phi(r) = (\phi(r))' \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \\
\nabla \phi(r) = -\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\vec{r}}{r} \\
[/tex]

Then for ##\nabla^2 \phi =##...

[tex]
\nabla \cdot (-\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\vec{r}}{r})
[/tex]

Let ##a=-\alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}## and ##\vec{B}= \frac{\vec{r}}{r}##

Then ## \nabla \cdot a \vec{B} = \vec{B} \cdot \nabla a + a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} ##

Then just ##\vec{B} \cdot \nabla a##

[tex]
\vec{B} \cdot \nabla a = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \cdot - \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} = -\alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{r^2}{r^2} = -\alpha^2 e^{-\alpha r}
[/tex]

Then for ##a \nabla \cdot \vec{B}##

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \nabla \cdot r^{-1} \vec{r} = \vec{r} \cdot \nabla r^{-1} + r^{-1} \nabla \cdot \vec{r} \\
\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \vec{r} \cdot - r^{-2} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} + 3 r^{-1} = - \frac{r^2}{r^3} + r^{-1} = \frac{2}{r}
[/tex]

So that ##a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} ##So then ##\nabla^2 \phi = \vec{B} \cdot \nabla a + a \nabla \cdot \vec{B} ##

[tex]
\nabla^2 \phi = - \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{- \alpha r} - \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} \\
\nabla^2 \phi = \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(- \alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r}) = \frac{- \rho(r) }{\epsilon_0} \\
\rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(\alpha^2 + \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
[/tex]And then for B I don't know if this is correct as it seemed to easy but...
[tex]
\vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = - \nabla \phi ( \vec{r} ) \\
\vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}
[/tex]
Any help or advice is very much appreciated! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be much easier if you used the known expressions for the divergence and/or Laplacian in spherical coordinates. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

However, your method will work. But it looks like you might have made a couple of minor errors.

FaraDazed said:
Then just ##\vec{B} \cdot \nabla a##
[tex]
\vec{B} \cdot \nabla a = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \cdot - \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]
Did you make a sign error on the right?

[tex]
\nabla^2 \phi = \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(- \alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r}) = \frac{- \rho(r) }{\epsilon_0} \\
\rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}(\alpha^2 + \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
[/tex]
Another sign error going from the first to second equation shown above?
And then for B I don't know if this is correct as it seemed to easy but...
[tex]
\vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}
[/tex]
Check whether the factor of ##\alpha^2## is correct in the last equation.

TSny said:
It would be much easier if you used the known expressions for the divergence and/or Laplacian in spherical coordinates. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

However, your method will work. But it looks like you might have made a couple of minor errors.Did you make a sign error on the right?

Another sign error going from the first to second equation shown above?Check whether the factor of ##\alpha^2## is correct in the last equation.
Ah, yes it looks like I did, thanks! Also kept forgetting to type the phi zero factor before all the exp's.

Yes, so that and with the above error corrected as well the last part shold be..

[tex]
\nabla^2 \phi = \alpha^2 \phi_0 e^{- \alpha r} - \frac{- 2 \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}}{r} \\
\nabla^2 \phi = \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r}( \alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r}) = \frac{- \rho(r) }{\epsilon_0} \\
\rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{\alpha r}(\alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
[/tex]
Oops yeah should only be alpha, and again I forgot the phi zero,

So that should be
[tex]
\vec{E} ( \vec{r} ) = \alpha \phi_0 e^{-\alpha r} \frac{\vec{r}}{r}
[/tex]

I believe that's the correct expression for the electric field.

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
I believe that's the correct expression for the electric field.
Thank you. I just edited my reply, when I first posted it half of my reply got caught in the quote tags.

FaraDazed said:
[tex]\rho(r) =- \epsilon_0 \phi_0 e^{\alpha r}(\alpha^2 - \frac{2 \alpha}{r})
[/tex]
Looks good except for a sign error in the exponent of ##e##.

Likes FaraDazed
TSny said:
Looks good except for a sign error in the exponent of ##e##.
Ah yeah, I think that one was just a typo, the others were proper sign errors haha. Thanks for taking a look! :)

1. How do you find the electric field given a potential?

To find the electric field, you can use the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the potential. This equation takes into account the direction and magnitude of the electric field at a given point.

2. What is the relationship between the electric field and charge density?

The electric field is directly proportional to the charge density. This means that as the charge density increases, the electric field also increases. The equation for this relationship is E = ρ/ε, where E is the electric field, ρ is the charge density, and ε is the permittivity of the medium.

3. How do you calculate the charge density from a given potential?

To calculate the charge density, you can use the equation ρ = -ε∇²V, where ρ is the charge density, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and ∇²V is the Laplacian operator applied to the potential. This equation takes into account the rate of change of the potential in all directions.

4. Can you find the charge density and electric field for any potential?

Yes, it is possible to find the charge density and electric field for any potential. However, the calculations may become more complex for more complex potentials. In general, the equations mentioned above can be used to find the charge density and electric field for a given potential.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding E field and charge density?

The calculation of E field and charge density is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields in various systems. Some real-world applications include designing and analyzing electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of lightning strikes, and studying the properties of materials in electronic devices.