Finding Eigen Values/functions

• Thread starter ShowerHead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues and functions of the equation y'' + \lambda y = 0 with two given boundary conditions. The conversation includes the general solution, steps for solving for the eigenvalues, and a question about a possible error in the solution process.
ShowerHead

Homework Statement

I have to find the eigenvalues&function of the eqn:
[tex]y''+\lambda y =0[/tex]
With the boundary conditions:
[tex]y(0)+y'(0) = 0[/tex] and [tex]y(\pi) =0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the general equations, okay, but am having trouble due to the boundary conditions.
Assuming [tex]\lambda>0[/tex], then get the general solution:
[tex]y(x)=A\sin(x\sqrt{\lambda})+B\cos(x\sqrt{\lambda})[/tex]

The best i can do now is that:
[tex]y(\pi)=A\sin(\sqrt{\lambda}\pi)+B\cos(\sqrt{\lambda}\pi)=0[/tex]
Which can only be valid if B = 0 and [tex]\sqrt{\lambda} = n[/tex] where n is a positive integer.
Now I run into problems, the second bc gives:
[tex]y(0)=A\sin(n 0)=0[/tex]
[tex]y'(0)=nA\cos( n 0)=nA[/tex]
So:
[tex]y(0)+y'(0) = 0 + nA = 0[/tex]

Am I on the right track, or can anyone see where I am messing up?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShowerHead said:
[tex]y(\pi)=A\sin(\sqrt{\lambda}\pi)+B\cos(\sqrt{\lambda}\pi)=0[/tex]
Which can only be valid if B = 0 and [tex]\sqrt{\lambda} = n[/tex] where n is a positive integer.

No, as a simple counterexample consider [itex]\lambda=\frac{1}{16}[/itex] and [itex]A=-B[/itex]. If [itex]\sqrt{\lambda}[/itex] had to be an integer, then [itex]B[/itex] would have to be zero; but there's no reason to assume [itex]\sqrt{\lambda}[/itex] must be an integer.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are fundamental concepts in linear algebra that are used to analyze and understand transformations of vector spaces. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent the scaling factor of an eigenvector. Eigenvectors are non-zero vectors that, when multiplied by a transformation matrix, are only scaled by a constant factor.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors useful?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze dynamic systems, and perform data compression and dimensionality reduction in machine learning.

3. How do you find eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

To find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you need to solve a system of linear equations. This can be done by finding the characteristic polynomial of a given matrix, setting it equal to zero, and then solving for the roots. Once the eigenvalues are found, you can use them to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvalues and determinants?

The determinant of a square matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. This means that the determinant can be used to determine if a matrix has any zero eigenvalues (if the determinant is zero) or if the eigenvalues are all positive or negative (if the determinant is positive or negative, respectively).

5. How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors relate to the diagonalization of a matrix?

A square matrix can be diagonalized by using its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This means that the matrix can be transformed into a diagonal matrix by using a change of basis with the eigenvectors as the new basis vectors. This process can simplify calculations and make it easier to analyze the properties of the matrix.