Finding Electric Field intensity

In summary, the problem involves a proton being slowed down by a uniform electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is found to be 1.06*10^5 N/C in the opposite direction of the proton's velocity. This is determined by considering the change in energy and the relationship between the direction of the force on a positively charged particle and the direction of the electric field.
pat666

Homework Statement

A proton traveling along the x-axis is slowed by a uniform electric field E. At x = 20 cm, the proton has a speed of 3.5 x 106 ms-1 and at x = 80 cm, its speed is zero. Find the magnitude and direction of electric field intensity.

Can someone please! check my procedure and if your really nice/helpful my answer-----thanks.

Homework Equations

W=Fx
W=Eqx
W=ΔK_E
ΔK_E=1/2 mv^2-1/2 mu^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1st i found the change in energy (work) to slow the proton to a stop. then that's equal to Eqx. I found E to be 1.06*10^5 N/C (positive direction) please check my answer if you have time - its worth marks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the electric field is correct. In what direction should the force on the proton be and why?

thanks kuruman - I thought positive (is that what's meant by direction??) because they need to be "like" to repel??

I am talking about the force on the proton. If it moves left to right (x is increasing), in what direction should the force be to stop it?

towards the origin - - but left or right would be dependent on the way the cc were defined? +x could be towards the left or right couldn't it?

pat666 said:
towards the origin - - but left or right would be dependent on the way the cc were defined? +x could be towards the left or right couldn't it?
Yes it could, so let me rephrase my question. Relative to the direction of the proton's velocity, in what direction should the force on it point? Same or opposite direction? The answer to this question has nothing to do with which way is positive and which way is negative.

opposite to slow it down??

Yes. Now how is the direction of the force on a positively charged particle related to the direction of the electric field? Same or opposite?

same- the direction of an electric field is the way a positively charged test particle would go

So put it together. Is the direction of the electric field the same as or opposite to the direction of the proton's velocity?

so the full answer is 1.06*10^5 N/C in the opposite direction of the protons velocity.

That is correct.

thanks kuruman!

What is the formula for calculating electric field intensity?

The formula for calculating electric field intensity is E = F/q, where E is the electric field intensity, F is the force exerted on a test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field intensity?

The unit of measurement for electric field intensity is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How do you find the electric field intensity at a specific point?

To find the electric field intensity at a specific point, you need to know the electric charges present in the field and their respective distances from the point. You can then use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge.

What factors affect the electric field intensity?

The electric field intensity is affected by the magnitude and location of the electric charges, as well as the distance between the charges. It is also affected by the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different permittivity values which can alter the electric field.

Can electric field intensity be negative?

Yes, electric field intensity can be negative. A negative value indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force on a positive test charge. This can occur when the electric charge creating the field is of opposite sign to the test charge.