Finding Flux of $\vec{F}$ Outward Across Sphere

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flux Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
sandy.bridge
Messages
797
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find the flux of [itex]\vec{F}=(x, y, z)[/itex] outward across the sphere [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2[/itex].


I am able to get it to this point:
[tex]\int\int_Cadxdy[/tex] and I then convert it to polar coordinates, and integrate rdr from 0 to a, and theta from zero to 2pi. However, this does not give me the correct result, as the answer is 4a^3*pi, and I am getting a^3*pi.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sandy.bridge! :smile:
sandy.bridge said:
I am able to get it to this point:
[tex]\int\int_Cadxdy[/tex] and I then convert it to polar coordinates, and integrate rdr from 0 to a, and theta from zero to 2pi. However, this does not give me the correct result, as the answer is 4a^3*pi, and I am getting a^3*pi.

it's the surface of a sphere …

what does r have to do with it? :confused:​

(and why are you integrating? surely you know the surface area of a sphere? :wink:)
 
Okay, well I know that once I get it to this point, it's right:
[tex]\int\int_CadS=\int\int_Ca(1)dxdy[/tex]

The projection of the sphere on the xy-plane is a circle, no? So why can I not use
[tex]dxdy=rdrd\theta[/tex]?
 
sandy.bridge said:
The projection of the sphere on the xy-plane is a circle, no?

projection? are you treating F as if it was a parallel field along one of the axes? :confused:

in that case, yes, the projection perpendicular to the field would be a circle

but the given F is radial ((x,y,z) = t), and constant in magnitude over the sphere,

so you just need the amount of surface it cuts through, which is 4πa2