Finding Frequency of an Oscillating Disc with a Hole

In summary, a circular disk with a rectangular hole has a radius of 0.600 m and mass of 0.390 kg. Its moment of inertia about a point on its perimeter is 2.60E-1 kgm2 and its center of mass is located at a distance of s=0.120 m from the center of the circle. The problem involves finding the oscillation frequency when the pivot point is at the center of mass, but it is determined that the disc will not oscillate due to there being no torque on the disc in this position. Therefore, the answer is 0.
Becca93
Homework Statement

A circular disk with a rectangular hole has a radius of 0.600 m and mass of 0.390 kg. It is suspended by a point on its perimeter as shown in the figure. The moment of inertia about this point is I_p = 2.60E-1 kgm2. Its center of mass is located at a distance of s=0.120 m from the center of the circle as shown. [Photo attached]

What is the oscillation frequency if the pivot point is at the center of mass?

The attempt at a solution

In truth, there were two parts to this question. The first, I had to find the periodof oscillations if it was allowed to oscillate side to side as a pendulum.

I used the equation T = 2(pi)√(I/mgd) and found that the answer was 1.93 s.

However, I'm at a loss as to how to try to solve for the frequency with the pivot point at the center of mass. Obviously, taking the inverse of the above answer resulted in an incorrect answer.

Any and all assistance would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• prob26_disk.gif
    prob26_disk.gif
    5 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem as stated doesn't make sense to me. If the pivot point is through the center of mass, it won't oscillate because there will be no torque on the disc regardless of its orientation.

vela said:
The problem as stated doesn't make sense to me. If the pivot point is through the center of mass, it won't oscillate because there will be no torque on the disc regardless of its orientation.

I realized that not long after I asked. I'm now assuming it's a trick question. 0 is the correct answer. I think it was trying to show that because distance from the center of mass was zero, all the rest was zero as well.

FAQ: Finding Frequency of an Oscillating Disc with a Hole

1. What is an oscillating disc with a hole?

An oscillating disc with a hole is a circular object with a hole in the center, mounted on a rotating shaft. When the disc rotates, it creates an oscillating motion due to the hole being off-center.

2. How do you find the frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole?

The frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole can be found by measuring the time it takes for the disc to complete one full rotation and then using the formula frequency = 1/time.

3. What factors affect the frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole?

The frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole can be affected by the size and shape of the hole, the mass and diameter of the disc, and the speed of rotation.

4. Why is it important to find the frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole?

Finding the frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the disc. It can also help us determine the optimal conditions for maximum efficiency or stability in certain applications.

5. How can the frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole be used in real-world applications?

The frequency of an oscillating disc with a hole can be used in various applications such as in mechanical engineering, where it can be used to design and optimize rotating machinery. It can also be used in musical instruments, where the frequency of vibration determines the pitch of the sound produced.

Back