1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding general term of a sequence

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the general term of

0, 4, 22, 118, 718, 5038, 40318

if a1 = 0, a2 = 4 and so on.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried getting the differences between them, even going 4 levels deep, but that isn't working obviously, I tried seeing if the ratios are the same, but they aren't. I really don't know what to do, I just need a hint to get this problem going. Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The next term is 362878. Doesn't seem very hard, I guess you just have to see the trick.

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are, of course, an infinite number of such sequences. There is, for example a unique polynomial, of degree 6 or less, passing through those 7 points. To get that you would have to take differences "6 levels deep".

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4

nmr

I'm not the original poster but still interested in solving this problem. Following your hint, the following is the expression I ended up with.

A_n = A_(n-1) * (n+1) + 2(n+1)

How do I go about resolving A_(n-1) to a function/expression in terms of n?

6. Sep 14, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to take an assumed starting point, I think. I certainly did, but maybe someone with more math experience can give you an answer.

By the way, I obviously could have just posted the answer myself, but I thought I'd give the OP another shot at it, knowing that it isn't hard. I think you showed poor form in not doing the same.

The point of this forum is to help others figure things out, NOT to spoon feed them answers.

7. Sep 14, 2014 #6
    Going six levels deep would only give me one number left, I am thinking you would need at least 3 to see if the differences are the same. By the way, for the last value I got 18806. I am kind of stumped again. Yes I typed the sequence into wolfram alpha and got answers with factorials everywhere, I know I wouldn't have got that on my own.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. Sep 14, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is even poorer form to post an incorrect solution, as the previous OP has done.

9. Sep 14, 2014 #8
    I figured it out, (N+1)! - 2, thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted