Finding hight of an inclined palne with its lengh and a force

In summary, the inclined planes had the same height of 15.5 cm, but when I pulled a 600 g trolley with a force meter, the results varied. The length of the trolley was 66.8 cm, the force was 1.5 kg, and the height was 57.1 cm. The highest force was 4.7 kg and the shortest was 0.5 kg.
RockenNS42
I had several inclined planes, all with the same height(15.5cm) I then pulled up a trolley (600g) with a force metre here are my results
length force
66.8 1.5
57.1 2
47.6 2.5
38.3 3
29.4 4
21.6 5.5
16.3 6.5

I now need to manipulate the raw data to find the height (which is already known to be 15.5)

2. Homework Equations

work done= energy transferred
?fd=mgh?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying
fd=mgh

for example for the first one
1.5 * .668 = .6kg* 9.8 *h
17cm

I'd really appreciate some help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calc looks good! You could repeat it for each set of data and then take an average to get an estimate of the height.

The trouble with an average is that the experiment may have some consistent errors that get included. You have a better chance of getting an accurate result if you analyze experimental data on a graph. Can you think of a way to make your Fd = mgh look like the y = mx + b of a straight line equation? Clearly the b is zero, so compare
Fd = mgh with y = mx.
The F and d are your measurements sort of corresponding to y and x, so you want to get one of them on the right side. You could use
F = mgh/d
Comparing that with y = mx, knowing you want the slope to be the h, you see that you should plot F on the side and mg/d on the bottom. Graph the data that way and find the slope. If you get a y-intercept other than the zero theory predicts, you can be happy knowing that you are eliminating some of that consistent error!

I tried that and it works good.
Thanks alot, I never really thought of doing
it that way (F=mgh/d) And the slope turned out
to be colse to the orginal height. :)

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, which can be used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one point to another.

How is the height of an inclined plane calculated?

The height of an inclined plane can be calculated by using the formula: height = length * sin(angle), where length is the length of the plane and angle is the angle of inclination.

Can the height of an inclined plane be determined with just its length and a force?

Yes, the height of an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula mentioned above if the length of the plane and the force acting on it are known.

What is the relationship between the angle of inclination and the height of an inclined plane?

As the angle of inclination increases, the height of the inclined plane also increases. This means that a steeper inclined plane will require more force to move an object but will also result in a greater distance covered.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in various everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and even playground slides. They are also used in larger structures, like roads and highways, to help vehicles move up steep slopes with less effort.

Back