Finding if a series converges

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: So, in summary, the series $$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {x}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$ diverges at $\sqrt{2}$ and $-\sqrt{2}$ because the terms do not go to 0 and the series oscillates between 0 and 1/2.
tmt1
I have this series

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {x}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

I need to find whether it converges or diverges at $\sqrt{2}$ and $-\sqrt{2}$.

I'm not quite sure how to approach this. For $\sqrt{2}$ I have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {\sqrt{2}}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$Which I suppose would equal

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {2}^{n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

Then

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n }{2}$$

I suppose this diverges since the limit of $\frac{1}{2}$ as $n$ approaches zero is not zero, therefore it diverges.

For $- \sqrt{2}$, I suppose I have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {(- \sqrt{2})}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

I'm not sure how to evaluate ${(- \sqrt{2})}^{2n}$. Would it be $(-1)^{2n} \cdot 2^n$?

So I have :

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n (-1)^{2n} {(\sqrt{2})}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

Then

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n (-1)^{2n} {2}^{n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

And

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (-1)^n (-1)^{2n} \cdot \frac{1}{2} $$

$(-1)^{2n}$ should always be positive since $2n$ will always be even.

Therefore, we have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \cdot \frac{1}{2} $$

Which should be divergent since the limit of $\frac{1}{2}$ as n approaches infinity does not equal 0 and $(-1)^{n}$ is alternating.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have this series

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {x}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

I need to find whether it converges or diverges at $\sqrt{2}$ and $-\sqrt{2}$.

I'm not quite sure how to approach this. For $\sqrt{2}$ I have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {\sqrt{2}}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$Which I suppose would equal

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {2}^{n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

Then

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n }{2}$$

I suppose this diverges since the limit of $\frac{1}{2}$ as $n$ approaches zero is not zero, therefore it diverges.

Correct, also the series itself oscillates between 0 and 1/2, which is another reason why it is divergent.

For $- \sqrt{2}$, I suppose I have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n {(- \sqrt{2})}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

I'm not sure how to evaluate ${(- \sqrt{2})}^{2n}$. Would it be $(-1)^{2n} \cdot 2^n$?

So I have :

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n (-1)^{2n} {(\sqrt{2})}^{2n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

Then

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n (-1)^{2n} {2}^{n}}{{2}^{n + 1}}$$

And

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (-1)^n (-1)^{2n} \cdot \frac{1}{2} $$

$(-1)^{2n}$ should always be positive since $2n$ will always be even.

Therefore, we have

$$\sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \cdot \frac{1}{2} $$

Which should be divergent since the limit of $\frac{1}{2}$ as n approaches infinity does not equal 0 and $(-1)^{n}$ is alternating.

Is this correct?

Correct from the divergence test as the terms don't go to 0, and again because the series oscillates between 0 and 1/2.

1. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine if a series converges or diverges, you can use different methods such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the series' terms and their convergence or divergence.

2. What is the definition of convergence in a series?

A series is said to converge if its terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In simpler terms, this means that the sum of all the terms in the series will eventually reach a specific value as more terms are added.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of the absolute values of its terms is a finite number. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, means that the series converges, but not absolutely. In other words, the sum of the terms may approach a limit, but the sum of their absolute values may not.

4. Can a series converge at one point and diverge at another?

Yes, it is possible for a series to converge at one point and diverge at another. This is known as conditional convergence, where the series converges at certain values but not others. An example is the alternating harmonic series, which converges at 1 but diverges at all other values.

5. What happens if a series does not converge?

If a series does not converge, it means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In this case, the series is said to diverge. Divergent series can either grow infinitely or oscillate between positive and negative values without approaching a specific value.