Finding if a Series is Convergent

In summary, the question asks whether the series \sum\frac{k}{1+k^2} converges. The author initially attempted to use the ratio test, but later decided to try other tests. After considering the integral test and eliminating other potential tests, the author applied the integral test and concluded that the series is divergent.
I'm Awesome

Homework Statement

Does [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{k}{1+k^2}[/itex] converge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm basically doing is using the ratio test. And at the end I get that the limit goes to ∞.
Therefore it it is convergent. But I'm not sure if I'm using the right test or if an other test would be easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm Awesome said:

Homework Statement

Does [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\frac{k}{1+k^2}[/itex] converge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm basically doing is using the ratio test. And at the end I get that the limit goes to ∞.
Therefore it it is convergent. But I'm not sure if I'm using the right test or if an other test would be easier.

Without seeing your work, who knows where you went astray. I don't think the ratio test will help you on this problem. What other tests have you thought of trying?

If you're getting ∞ as an answer, then the series diverges, not converges.

Okay this is what I did. I decided not to use the ratio test anymore.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5567/calculus.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Awesome said:
Okay this is what I did. I decided not to use the ratio test anymore.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5567/calculus.png

What you have done is pointless. Noting that the nth term of a series goes to zero tells you nothing about convergence of the series.

There are other tests for convergence/divergence than the ratio test. What are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try an Integral test. Always the best for "easy functions" cause you can't over think and make a mistake.

LCKurtz said:
What you have done is pointless. Noting that the nth term of a series goes to zero tells you nothing about convergence of the series.

There are other tests for convergence/divergence than the ratio test. What are they?

Comparison test, integral test, p-series test, root and ratio tests, and the alternating series test.

I'm just not sure which on to use. I know it can't be an alternating series, or p-series.

Use the comparison test or the limit comparison test.

Let [itex]u_k=\frac{k}{1+k^2}[/itex]
Then, [itex]v_k[/itex] can be approximated to ... as k tends towards infinity.

LCKurtz said:
To elaborate on what LCKurtz said, the nth term test for divergence says something like this.
"If ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n \neq 0##, the series Ʃ an diverges."

This test can tell you only whether a series diverges. It is a very common mistake that students make when they conclude from this test that a given series converges. In other words, if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##, you cannot conclude that the series converges.

Mark44 said:
To elaborate on what LCKurtz said, the nth term test for divergence says something like this.
"If ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n \neq 0##, the series Ʃ an diverges."

This test can tell you only whether a series diverges. It is a very common mistake that students make when they conclude from this test that a given series converges. In other words, if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##, you cannot conclude that the series converges.

Example: [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n} = 0[/itex] but it diverges! (it's a harmonic series).

sharks said:
Example: [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n} = 0[/itex] but it diverges! (it's a harmonic series).
Good example.

Another example is ## \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{n^2} = 0##. Same result, but this time the series converges.

Thank you for clarifying this common mistake, Mark44. I made that error not so long ago in my test.:redface: I blame it on stress.:rolleyes:

I'm Awesome said:
Comparison test, integral test, p-series test, root and ratio tests, and the alternating series test.

I'm just not sure which on to use. I know it can't be an alternating series, or p-series.

OK. Well I have already told you the ratio test won't work and you see it isn't an alternating series. It isn't a p series. So that leaves comparison and general comparison test and integral test. So try something.

Okay, I tried the integral test. Does that answer look better now?

Untitled.png

Therefore, the seires is divergent by the integral test.

I'm Awesome said:

Untitled.png

Therefore, the seires is divergent by the integral test.

Looks fine.

The integral test works nicely. Though what I'd do is the Ratio Test. Nice solution! Really, really nice.

Whovian said:
The integral test works nicely. Though what I'd do is the Ratio Test.

Which, as I have mentioned before, would be inconclusive.

I'm Awesome said:

Yes. See, all you had to do was try it. Good writeup.

What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. In simpler terms, it is a series in which the terms eventually get closer and closer to a specific value.

How do you determine if a series is convergent?

To determine if a series is convergent, you can use several tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series to see if they approach a finite limit or if they diverge.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series does not have a finite limit and either grows infinitely large or oscillates between values.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. It can only be one or the other. If a series does not approach a finite limit, then it is considered divergent.

What is the purpose of determining if a series is convergent?

Determining if a series is convergent is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It also helps us understand the behavior of infinite sequences and their limits.