1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Instantaneous Acceleration/Velocity

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    Hi, you guys seem really helpful so I didnt think the template was necessary as my question dosent really fit those guidelines.

Im currently working on a review sheet for my Physics test tomorrow, and am having trouble finding the instantaneous velocity from looking at a acceleration vs. time graph and the instantaneous velocity from a position vs. time graph.

the problems i need help with are 1c and 2d on this page:http://www.jburroughs.org/science/mschober/consta/sframe.htm

Im just looking for a general method on how to complete these problems.

thanks so much in advance, Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

using an acceleration vs. time graph you simply need to find the tangent at that point. remember [tex]Lim _{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And for velocity from a position vs. time graph you just need to find the area under the graph. [tex]\sum f(x) \Delta x[/tex]

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    thanks for the reply, but Im still kind of confused. When looking at a position vs. time graph, wouldnt the area under the curve be the velocity over that time interval, not the specific time?

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Oops I have all of that backwards.

let me rewrite that:

using a position vs. time graph you simply need to find the tangent at that point. remember [tex]Lim _{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And for velocity from a acceleration vs. time graph you just need to find the area under the graph. [tex]\sum f(x) \Delta x[/tex]

I'm really sorry if I confused you.

6. Nov 11, 2008 #5
    ok gotcha. Just curious, is there any other simpler way to find the inst. velocity that finding the tangent? It takes a long time and seems to be pretty inaccurate.

7. Nov 11, 2008 #6

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Just take the derivative of the function at hand for the position/time graph and take the integral of the acceleration/time graph (derived using the formulas I gave you above.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?