Finding Instantaneous Acceleration/Velocity

• Thread starter chaunceytoben
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding instantaneous velocity from acceleration vs. time and position vs. time graphs. Using the tangent and derivative for position vs. time and the area under the graph and integral for acceleration vs. time, one can accurately calculate the instantaneous velocity.
chaunceytoben
Hi, you guys seem really helpful so I didnt think the template was necessary as my question dosent really fit those guidelines.

Im currently working on a review sheet for my Physics test tomorrow, and am having trouble finding the instantaneous velocity from looking at a acceleration vs. time graph and the instantaneous velocity from a position vs. time graph.

the problems i need help with are 1c and 2d on this page:http://www.jburroughs.org/science/mschober/consta/sframe.htm

Im just looking for a general method on how to complete these problems.

thanks so much in advance, Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
using an acceleration vs. time graph you simply need to find the tangent at that point. remember [tex]Lim _{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And for velocity from a position vs. time graph you just need to find the area under the graph. [tex]\sum f(x) \Delta x[/tex]

djeitnstine said:
using an acceleration vs. time graph you simply need to find the tangent at that point. remember [tex]Lim _{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And for velocity from a position vs. time graph you just need to find the area under the graph. [tex]\sum f(x) \Delta x[/tex]

thanks for the reply, but I am still kind of confused. When looking at a position vs. time graph, wouldn't the area under the curve be the velocity over that time interval, not the specific time?

Oops I have all of that backwards.

let me rewrite that:

using a position vs. time graph you simply need to find the tangent at that point. remember [tex]Lim _{\Delta x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And for velocity from a acceleration vs. time graph you just need to find the area under the graph. [tex]\sum f(x) \Delta x[/tex]

I'm really sorry if I confused you.

ok gotcha. Just curious, is there any other simpler way to find the inst. velocity that finding the tangent? It takes a long time and seems to be pretty inaccurate.

Just take the derivative of the function at hand for the position/time graph and take the integral of the acceleration/time graph (derived using the formulas I gave you above.)

Related to Finding Instantaneous Acceleration/Velocity

1. How do you calculate instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by finding the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. This can be represented by the equation a = dv/dt, where "a" is the instantaneous acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "t" is time.

2. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = Δv/Δt, where "Δv" is the change in velocity and "Δt" is the change in time.

3. How do you find instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity can be found by taking the derivative of the position with respect to time. This can be represented by the equation v = dx/dt, where "v" is the instantaneous velocity, "x" is the position, and "t" is time.

4. Can instantaneous acceleration ever be negative?

Yes, instantaneous acceleration can be negative if the velocity is decreasing. This indicates that the object is slowing down. However, if the velocity is increasing, the instantaneous acceleration will be positive.

5. What is the importance of finding instantaneous acceleration and velocity?

Instantaneous acceleration and velocity are important in understanding the motion of objects. They can help determine the speed, direction, and changes in motion of an object at a specific moment in time. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics.