How Can I Solve These Calculus Limits Without a Calculator?

• Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: So you need to find a way without L'Hospital's rule.In summary, the conversation is about finding limits without using a graphing calculator. The first limit involves using an identity that the person is unsure of. The second limit is solved by multiplying by the conjugate, but leads to 0/0. The third limit is solved using a table of values, but the person is wondering if there is an algebraic way to solve it. Another person suggests using limit laws and passing to the limit, and the first person realizes that the limit of Sinx/x as x goes to 0 is 1.
Jules18

Homework Statement

I need to figure out these limits without using a graphing calculator:

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)
I really had no idea about this one.
Maybe there's an identity I'm forgetting about.

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x
For this one, I multiplied the top and bottom by the conjugate of the top, which was
sqrt(x+4) + 2. But it backfired because I ended up with 0/0 as my limit again which
doesn't exist.

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)
For this one, I used a table of values. I got the right answer, but I'm wondering if there's
any way to do it algebraically.

I would be so thankful for any help at all on these ^_^ o:)

~Jules~

Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:

Homework Statement

I need to figure out these limits without using a graphing calculator:

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)
I really had no idea about this one.
Maybe there's an identity I'm forgetting about.

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x
For this one, I multiplied the top and bottom by the conjugate of the top, which was
sqrt(x+4) + 2. But it backfired because I ended up with 0/0 as my limit again which
doesn't exist.

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)
For this one, I used a table of values. I got the right answer, but I'm wondering if there's
any way to do it algebraically.

I would be so thankful for any help at all on these ^_^ o:)

~Jules~
I don't have any ideas for #1, but here are some tips for 2 and 3.
2. You had the right idea, multiplying by the conjugate. After you multiply, you should end up with only x in the numerator, which cancels with the x in the denominator.
3. I haven't worked this through, but both numerator and denominator have factors of (x - 1). Rewrite both numerator and denominator as (x - 1)* (the rest), cancel the x - 1 factors, and you should be able to evaluate the limit.

For the first one notice that [tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x(1 + \frac{tan(x)}{x})} [/tex].

[tex] \frac{tan(x)}{x} = \frac{\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}}{x} = \frac{sin(x)}{xcos(x)}[/tex]

So [tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \left \frac{1}{1 + \frac{sin(x)}{x} + \frac{1}{cos(x)} } [/tex].

You know the limit of sin(x)/x as x goes to 0, right? So pass to the limit now, using limit laws.

I messed up the last equation in my previous post. It should be:

[tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \left \frac{1}{1 + \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \frac{1}{cos(x)} } [/tex]

Thanks guys

JG89 actually I don't know the limit of Sinx/x as x goes to 0 anymore. I'm sure I did at one time. ... what is it again?

It's 1

Oookay. that's smart
it ends up being 1/2, which is the same as the answer key.

Also just to add a bit more, I believe you can use L'Hopital's Rule when you have 0/0 or infinity/infinity.

Yes, but the title of this thread is "Finding Limits (w/0 calc)".

FAQ: How Can I Solve These Calculus Limits Without a Calculator?

1. What is the concept of finding limits without a calculator?

The concept of finding limits without a calculator involves determining the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. This can be done by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the desired input, and observing the trend of the outputs.

2. Why is it important to understand how to find limits without a calculator?

It is important to understand how to find limits without a calculator because it allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of functions and their graphs. It also enables us to solve more complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of a function.

3. What are the different methods for finding limits without a calculator?

There are several methods for finding limits without a calculator, including direct substitution, factoring and canceling, using algebraic manipulation, and using special limits such as the squeeze theorem or the intermediate value theorem.

4. When can direct substitution be used to find a limit without a calculator?

Direct substitution can be used to find a limit without a calculator when the function is continuous at the desired input value. This means that the function has a defined output at that specific input.

5. Can limits be found without a calculator for all types of functions?

No, there are certain functions for which it is not possible to find limits without a calculator, such as functions with vertical asymptotes or infinite discontinuities. In these cases, other methods such as using a graph or using L'Hôpital's rule may be necessary.