1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Limits (w/o calc)

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to figure out these limits without using a graphing calculator:

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

limx-->0Sinx/(x+Tanx)
    I really had no idea about this one.
    Maybe there's an identity I'm forgetting about.

limx-->0[sqrt(x+4)-2]/x
    For this one, I multiplied the top and bottom by the conjugate of the top, which was
    sqrt(x+4) + 2. But it backfired because I ended up with 0/0 as my limit again which
    doesn't exist.

limx-->1(x6-1)/(x10-1)
    For this one, I used a table of values. I got the right answer, but I'm wondering if there's
    any way to do it algebraically.

I would be so thankful for any help at all on these ^_^ o:)

~Jules~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't have any ideas for #1, but here are some tips for 2 and 3.
    2. You had the right idea, multiplying by the conjugate. After you multiply, you should end up with only x in the numerator, which cancels with the x in the denominator.
    3. I haven't worked this through, but both numerator and denominator have factors of (x - 1). Rewrite both numerator and denominator as (x - 1)* (the rest), cancel the x - 1 factors, and you should be able to evaluate the limit.

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    For the first one notice that [tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x(1 + \frac{tan(x)}{x})} [/tex].

[tex] \frac{tan(x)}{x} = \frac{\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}}{x} = \frac{sin(x)}{xcos(x)}[/tex]

So [tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \left \frac{1}{1 + \frac{sin(x)}{x} + \frac{1}{cos(x)} } [/tex].

You know the limit of sin(x)/x as x goes to 0, right? So pass to the limit now, using limit laws.

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4
    I messed up the last equation in my previous post. It should be:

[tex] \frac{sin(x)}{x + tan(x)} = \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \left \frac{1}{1 + \frac{sin(x)}{x} \left \left \frac{1}{cos(x)} } [/tex]

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    Thanks guys

JG89 actually I don't know the limit of Sinx/x as x goes to 0 anymore. I'm sure I did at one time. ... what is it again?

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6
    It's 1

8. Oct 13, 2009 #7
    Oookay. that's smart
    it ends up being 1/2, which is the same as the answer key.

9. Oct 13, 2009 #8
    Also just to add a bit more, I believe you can use L'Hopital's Rule when you have 0/0 or infinity/infinity.

10. Oct 14, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but the title of this thread is "Finding Limits (w/0 calc)".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook