1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding magnification, object distance from the mirror, and radius of curvature

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You placed a 10cm high object in front of a mirror and got 5cm high virtual image at (-30cm). (Hint: watch the sign convention)
    a. Find the magnification
    b. Find the object distance from the mirror
    c. Find the radius of curvature of the mirror

then I have to know if the mirror is convex or concave and if it is upright or inverted, but I think I can figure that out if I find the solutions to these problems.

2. Relevant equations
    I've figured out from the information that Ho= 10cm, Hi= 5cm, I think f= -30cm
    For object distance, I can't figure out how I can possibly figure that out without any distances given. I'm not supplied with distance from focal point.
    Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

and for radius, I have no idea where to begin.

3. The attempt at a solution
    for part a. M=Hi/Ho=5cm/10cm=1/2cm ? So does Magnitude equal 1/2cm?

I am not good at science, I am taking this as my gen-ed required science for my major. PLEASE help however you can.
    Thanks so much :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Hello,

let s= object distance=x, s'=image distance=-30cm, h= object height=10cm, h'=image height=5cm, f=focal length=y and R=Radius of curvature=z

For part A you have the right answer as m=-[itex]\frac{s'}{s}[/itex] Except you thought -30 is focal length which it is not, its where the image appears to be.

For part B you can use the following equation [itex]\frac{1}{f}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{s'}[/itex]. You don't know object distance but you can work it out from magnification equation, m=-[itex]\frac{s'}{s}[/itex] we also know |m|=[itex]\frac{h'}{h}[/itex] so you can work out what s is.

For part C Radius of curvature is simply 2x Focal length.

Hope this helps

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3
    that helps so much! thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook