Finding magnitude and direction of reaction force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
SpiraRoam
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A uniform horizontal rod of mass 4 kg and length 500 mm, is hinged at the left hand side and supported at rest by a chain (S) attached 10 cm from the hinge.

upload_2017-4-17_21-41-54.png


Calculate the magnitude and direction of the reaction force on the rod at the hinge. State the principle you have used in solving this problem.

Homework Equations


upload_2017-4-17_21-40-25.png


The Attempt at a Solution


Initially I thought it was the principle of moments but it can't be as it's all one sided. Unless there's a moment from the top of the chain to R. It's probably resolving the system into two vector components and then finding the resultant from that but I'm not sure how.


I think that would be the right method?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-4-17_21-30-7.png
    upload_2017-4-17_21-30-7.png
    630 bytes · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
Day3091 said:
Initially I thought it was the principle of moments but it can't be as it's all one sided.
That would depend on the point about which you are taking moments. Since the situation is static, any point should do.

Suppose the hinge weren't there but the chain remained in place. About which point would the rod pivot?
 
The information on the virtual learning environment for my college says that all of the necessary information is in the statics and materials document. It doesn't specify anything to do with this particular example though, or perhaps I'm not able to discern what to take and apply from it. It's just talking about pin jointed systems and the likes :/

I'm really not that good at Engineering. ?:) Struggling with a lot of it.