1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding magnitude and direction of reaction force

1. Apr 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform horizontal rod of mass 4 kg and length 500 mm, is hinged at the left hand side and supported at rest by a chain (S) attached 10 cm from the hinge.

upload_2017-4-17_21-41-54.png

Calculate the magnitude and direction of the reaction force on the rod at the hinge. State the principle you have used in solving this problem.

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2017-4-17_21-40-25.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Initially I thought it was the principle of moments but it can't be as it's all one sided. Unless there's a moment from the top of the chain to R. It's probably resolving the system into two vector components and then finding the resultant from that but I'm not sure how.

I think that would be the right method?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That would depend on the point about which you are taking moments. Since the situation is static, any point should do.

Suppose the hinge weren't there but the chain remained in place. About which point would the rod pivot?

4. Apr 18, 2017 #3
    The information on the virtual learning environment for my college says that all of the necessary information is in the statics and materials document. It doesn't specify anything to do with this particular example though, or perhaps I'm not able to discern what to take and apply from it. It's just talking about pin jointed systems and the likes :/

I'm really not that good at Engineering. ?:) Struggling with alot of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted