1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass from mass density of lamina

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    wlNsyAz.png

2. Relevant equations
    m = ∫∫sρ(x,y,z)dS

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used polar coordinates for this (is that necessary here)? I found zx and zy, took the cross product of those, and found it to be √(2). So dS = √2 dA.
    √2 02pi25r2drdθ = 78pi√2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Polar coordinates are entirely appropriate: try cylindrical-polar and exploit the symmetry.
    Don't know what you mean by ##z_x## and ##z_y## or the role you used ##dS## and ##dA## for.
    You have to spell out your reasoning - different courses can use different conventions.

Since it is a lamina - the mass density is probably an area rather than a volume density; so ##dm = \rho\;d\!A## (check).
    Here dA is an element of area lying on the surface of the cone and dm comes from: ##m=\int_{Area}\;dm##

To select a strategy you can feel confident with, 1st figure out what ##\rho## depends on.
    Does it depend on r? z? ##\theta##? All of them? None of them? Which?
    Then a good choice for the geometry of dA may present itself.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Doesn't it depend on all of them?

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Okay I'm thinking about dA and would it be dzrdrdθ? The boundaries for z would be from z=2 to z=5, θ would be from 0 to 2pi, but what about r?

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Back up a bit.
    You have ##\rho(x,y,z)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## in post #1.
    Notice how that equation does not have a z in it? That means that the value of ##\rho## does not depend on the value of ##z##.
    Can you write that equation in terms of the cylindrical-polar coordinates?

Do the same for the equation of the cone.

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6
    So it only depends on r and θ, correct?
    p(x,y,z) = r
    z = 6-r

8. Apr 25, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - so you have ##\rho = r## ... look at what you wrote: is there a ##\theta## in that equation?

Note: ##\rho(x,y,z)=r## is a bit misleading because x,y,z belong to rectangular coords while the r is cylindrical. You could write ##\rho(r,\theta,z)=r##

9. Apr 25, 2016 #8
    No... so it only depends on r?
    I am getting confused on what to use now...

10. Apr 25, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are doing fine. The density only depends on the distance from the z-axis.
    This means you could use a shortcut ... you only need dA to be the area of the surface of the cone between r and r+dr.
    Technically you could also make dA the area of the cone between z and z+dz (sketch).

If the density depended on the angle as well, then you'd need dA to be the area of the cone between r and r+dr which is also between ##\theta## and ##\theta + d\theta##. You can still do it that way if it helps you think about it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  11. Apr 25, 2016 #10
    I think I see what you are saying... So since this is not dependent on z or theta, would the integrand just be rdr?

12. Apr 25, 2016 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. the integrand is ##\rho\; d\!A##
    The area on the cone between r and r+dr is circular so you'd expect to see a ##\pi## in there someplace right?
    Did you draw a sketch?

13. Apr 25, 2016 #12
    A cone with its center at (0,0,-6), but between the planes z=2 and z=5, is that correct?

14. Apr 25, 2016 #13
    But pdA = rdr? Actually, would dA = dzrdr?

15. Apr 25, 2016 #14
    Can anyone confirm I am thinking correctly? This homework is due tonight. ):

16. Apr 25, 2016 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If I understand what you did, you found ##dS = \sqrt{2}\,dx\,dy## since you differentiated with respect to ##x## and ##y##. Now if you want to use polar coordinates, you need to find the equivalent of ##dx\,dy## in terms of polar coordinates. Do you know what that is?

The other thing you need to do is figure out the bounds of integral. I've attached a top-down view of the lamina, so you can see its projection onto the xy-plane. Untitled-1.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted