Finding the Center of Mass of a Lamina with Proportional Density

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a lamina with a boundary consisting of two semicircles and portions of the x-axis. The density at any point is proportional to its distance from the origin. One solution suggests using the function f(x,y)=k\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} to represent this statement, while another solution considers the lamina as a 2D object and suggests a different function that does not work. The conversation ends with a question about the validity of ignoring the z-axis in this problem.
mrcleanhands

Homework Statement

The boundary of a lamina consists of the semicircles [itex]y=\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]y=\sqrt{4-x^{2}}[/itex] together with the portions of the x-axis that join them. Find the centre of mass of the lamina if the density at any point is proportion to its distance from the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue here is only in turning the statement "the density at any point is proportion to its distance from the origin" into a function.

The solution is [itex]f(x,y)=k\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] but why are they ignoring Z here? Since the lamina is in 3D right?

If I try turn this statement into a function I get [itex] f(x,y) = k\sqrt{f(x,y)^{2} + x^{2} + y^{2}}[/itex] which doesn't work. Where have I gone wrong in my thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
The shape is given as a 2D-object. How did you get the second equation, and what does it represent?

What is the center of mass of a lamina?

The center of mass of a lamina is the point at which the entire mass of the lamina can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the lamina would balance if placed on a pivot.

How is the center of mass of a lamina calculated?

The center of mass of a lamina can be calculated by dividing the total moment of the lamina by its total mass. This can be done by dividing the sum of each infinitesimal mass element multiplied by its distance from a chosen axis, by the total mass of the lamina.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps in determining the stability and equilibrium of a lamina. It also helps in predicting the motion of a lamina when subjected to external forces.

What factors affect the center of mass of a lamina?

The center of mass of a lamina is affected by its shape, size, and mass distribution. The position of the center of mass can change if the lamina's shape or mass distribution is altered.

How does the center of mass of a lamina differ from its centroid?

The center of mass and centroid of a lamina are different concepts. The centroid is the geometric center or average position of all the points on the surface of the lamina, while the center of mass takes into account the mass distribution of the lamina. The center of mass may or may not coincide with the centroid depending on the mass distribution of the lamina.