Finding max and min of a function of several variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the critical points of a function and using the second derivative test to determine whether they are saddle points, minimum points, or maximum points. The process involves finding F_x, F_xx, F_xy, F_y, and F_yy, solving the system of equations for F_x and F_y, and using the second derivative test on the resulting points. The main points of confusion and clarification involve the equation x^2-y^2=0 and its two cases, and the use of the second derivative test on the critical points.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Find max/min/saddle point of the function :

F(x,y) = (1+xy)(x+y)

= x^2*y + y^2*x + x + y

F_x = 2xy + y^2 + 1
F_xx = 2y

F_y = x^2 + 2yx + 1
F_yy = 2x

Need help on finding the critical points :

So I have to solve this equations :

F_y = x^2 + 2yx + 1
F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract the two equations and get x^2-y^2=0. That's (x+y)(x-y)=0. Suggests you split the solution into two cases. Can you go from there?

I think its supposed to be (y+x)(y-x). What should I do next?

That function will be 0 when x = y or when x = -yNow do I plug it in into F_x or F_y ?

tnutty said:
I think its supposed to be (y+x)(y-x). What should I do next?

That function will be 0 when x = y or when x = -y

Now do I plug it in into F_x or F_y ?

(x+y)(x-y)=0 and (y+x)(y-x)=0 are both the same condition. Assume x=y and try to solve F_x=0 and F_y=0, any solutions? Now assume x=(-y) and do the same exercise.

So we have :

F_y = x^2 + 2yx + 1
F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

and our test case is x = y , -y

case : x = y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1
= y^2 + 2y^2 + 1 = 0

3y^2 = - 1

x = y has no real answercase x = -y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

= y^2 - 2y^2 + 1

-y^2 = -1

y = 1, -1

so when x = -y , y has to equal -1 or 1 for the function F(x,y) to have a horizontal plane.Using the 2nd derivative test

D = F_xx*F_yy -[F_xy]^2

= (2y)(2x) - (2x + 2y)^2

= 4xy - 4x^2 + 8xy + 4y^2

= xy - x^2 + 2xy + y^2

= y^2 - x^2 + 3xy

so inputting values are (-y, - 1) and (-y , 1)

Case P(-y,-1)

D = y^2 - x^2 + 3xy

= (-1)^2 - (-y)^2 + 3(-y)(-1)
= 1 - y^2 + 3y

0 = y^2 - 3y - 1

Then what, use calculator to find its root?

tnutty said:
So we have :

F_y = x^2 + 2yx + 1
F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

and our test case is x = y , -y

case : x = y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1
= y^2 + 2y^2 + 1 = 0

3y^2 = - 1

x = y has no real answer

case x = -y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

= y^2 - 2y^2 + 1

-y^2 = -1

y = 1, -1

so when x = -y , y has to equal -1 or 1 for the function F(x,y) to have a horizontal plane.

Using the 2nd derivative test

D = F_xx*F_yy -[F_xy]^2

= (2y)(2x) - (2x + 2y)^2

= 4xy - 4x^2 + 8xy + 4y^2

= xy - x^2 + 2xy + y^2

= y^2 - x^2 + 3xy

so inputting values are (-y, - 1) and (-y , 1)

Case P(-y,-1)

D = y^2 - x^2 + 3xy

= (-1)^2 - (-y)^2 + 3(-y)(-1)
= 1 - y^2 + 3y

0 = y^2 - 3y - 1

Then what, use calculator to find its root?

Aren't your critical points (1,-1) and (-1,1)? Why are you treating y like some unknown value? I thought you solved for it.

Oh so in this snippet :

case x = -y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

= y^2 - 2y^2 + 1

-y^2 = -1

y = 1, -1I just input y back into the equation x = -y ?

tnutty said:
Oh so in this snippet :

case x = -y

F_x = y^2 + 2yx + 1

= y^2 - 2y^2 + 1

-y^2 = -1

y = 1, -1I just input y back into the equation x = -y ?

Sure you do. x=(-y). You assumed that. And with good reason.

Ok thanks then.

I can solve it from here .

So to recap (because it helps me learn better ) I had to do the following.

For the function F(x,y) = ... , find F_x, F_xx, F_xy, F_y , F_yy

Then I had to solve the system of equation of F_x, and F_y, in which I
found the equation x^2 - y^2, which has two cases where it will have a critical point, at x = y and at x = -y.

Inputting this values into F_x or F_y gives me a non real answer for x = y and for x = -y,
it gives me y = -1, 1. So I input those values into the equation x = -y, (question : technically could I have also inputed x = y , -y into the equation F_x or F_y or x^2 - y^2 ? ). From that I have two point , (1,-1) and (-1,1).

With these points I can use the second derivative test to check whether its a saddle point minimum point or a maximum point.

That should be correct , right ?

Sure that's correct. I'm a little unsure what you are unsure about. To be a critical point you need F_x=F_y=0. If F_x-F_y=(x+y)(x-y)=0, then you can certainly conclude that for any critical point either x=y or x=(-y), right?

Yep, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I have an exam tomorrow at 9am.

What is the purpose of finding the max and min of a function of several variables?

Finding the maximum and minimum values of a function of several variables helps to determine the peak and lowest points of the function, which can be useful in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of the function.

What is the process for finding the max and min of a function of several variables?

The process typically involves taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, setting them equal to zero, and solving for the values of the variables. This will give the critical points, which can then be evaluated to determine the max and min values.

Can the max and min of a function of several variables be found algebraically?

In some cases, it is possible to find the max and min of a function of several variables algebraically by setting up and solving a system of equations. However, in more complex functions, numerical methods may be necessary to find the values.

What is the difference between a local max/min and a global max/min?

A local max or min refers to a point where the function has the highest or lowest value within a specific region or interval. A global max or min, on the other hand, refers to the overall highest or lowest value of the function.

What are some real-life applications of finding the max and min of a function of several variables?

Finding the max and min of a function of several variables can be used in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes, design efficient structures, or analyze the behavior of a physical system.