Finding Maximum Current Entering A Terminal

In summary, the expression for the charge entering an upper terminal of a component is q = 1/\alpha^{2} - (t/\alpha + 1/\alpha^{2})e^{-t\alpha}. To find the maximum value of the current entering the terminal, we take the derivative with respect to time and set it equal to 0. Solving for t, we get t = 1/\alpha. Plugging this back into the original equation, we find the maximum current to be e^{-1} = 0.3679.
madhatter500

Homework Statement

The expression for the charge entering an upper terminal of a component is:

q = 1/[itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] - (t/[itex]\alpha[/itex] + 1/[itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex])e[itex]^{-t\alpha}[/itex]

Find the maximum value of the current entering the terminal if [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0.03679 s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they gave us the equation for the charge, to find current we simply take the derivative with respect to time of the given equation. I did this and ended up with te[itex]^{-t\alpha}[/itex]. This seems to check out just fine. I then realized that they want the maximum value that this derivative can be. So then I went ahead and took the second derivative and tried to set it equal to 0 (since that would be a local max or min). This ended up being very messy and it didn't work out. Is there an easier way to find the maximum current?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me know if my mathematics is incorrect, but
[itex]\frac{dq^{2}}{d^{2}t}=e^{-t\alpha}-\alpha te^{-t\alpha}=e^{-t\alpha}(1-\alpha t)=0[/itex]
[itex]e^{-t\alpha}\neq0[/itex], therefore [itex]1-\alpha t=0[/itex]

and [itex]t=\frac{1}{\alpha}[/itex]

You can go from there

edit: this is going from your 1st derivative, I haven't checked it myself

madhatter500 said:

Homework Statement

The expression for the charge entering an upper terminal of a component is:

q = 1/[itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] - (t/[itex]\alpha[/itex] + 1/[itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex])e[itex]^{-t\alpha}[/itex]

Find the maximum value of the current entering the terminal if [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0.03679 s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they gave us the equation for the charge, to find current we simply take the derivative with respect to time of the given equation. I did this and ended up with te[itex]^{-t\alpha}[/itex]. This seems to check out just fine. I then realized that they want the maximum value that this derivative can be. So then I went ahead and took the second derivative and tried to set it equal to 0 (since that would be a local max or min). This ended up being very messy and it didn't work out. Is there an easier way to find the maximum current?

Not too comfortable with your first derivative. t appears in two places in the original expression. I think you may have overlooked one??

MetalManuel said:
Let me know if my mathematics is incorrect, but
[itex]\frac{dq^{2}}{d^{2}t}=e^{-t\alpha}-\alpha te^{-t\alpha}=e^{-t\alpha}(1-\alpha t)=0[/itex]
[itex]e^{-t\alpha}\neq0[/itex], therefore [itex]1-\alpha t=0[/itex]

and [itex]t=\frac{1}{\alpha}[/itex]

You can go from there

edit: this is going from your 1st derivative, I haven't checked it myself

Perfect. This gives me the correct answer. Looks like I need to brush up on my algebra! Thank you!

Thank you for providing the equation and values for \alpha. To find the maximum value of the current entering the terminal, we need to first take the derivative of the charge equation with respect to time, which you have correctly done. However, to find the maximum value, we need to set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for t. This will give us the time at which the current is at a maximum. Plugging this value of t back into the derivative will give us the maximum current entering the terminal. There may be alternative methods to find the maximum current, but this is the most straightforward approach given the information provided.

1. What is maximum current entering a terminal?

Maximum current entering a terminal refers to the maximum amount of electric current that can flow into a particular terminal or connection point without damaging the circuit or causing overheating.

2. Why is it important to find the maximum current entering a terminal?

Knowing the maximum current that can enter a terminal is crucial for designing and safely operating electrical systems. It helps prevent damage to equipment and ensures that the circuit can handle the expected amount of current.

3. How is the maximum current entering a terminal determined?

The maximum current entering a terminal is determined by calculating the current-carrying capacity of the conductor, taking into account factors such as wire size, material, and ambient temperature. Standards and guidelines, such as the National Electrical Code, provide tables and formulas for determining this value.

4. Can the maximum current entering a terminal change over time?

Yes, the maximum current entering a terminal can change over time due to factors such as aging of the equipment, changes in ambient temperature, or changes in the load on the circuit. It is important to regularly check and update this value to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum current entering a terminal?

If the maximum current entering a terminal is exceeded, it can result in overheating of the circuit, which can damage equipment and potentially lead to electrical fires. It can also cause voltage drops and affect the performance of the circuit. Therefore, it is important to always stay within the maximum current limits to ensure the safety and functionality of the electrical system.