Finding Mean of a Set of Abstract Numbers

In summary, the mean of the set of numbers a, 2a, 3a, ..., na where a and n are positive integers is \frac{a(n+1)}{2}. This can be shown by considering the arithmetic progression of the sum of the terms, where the number of terms is n/2 and each term equals n+1. This holds true for both even and odd values of n.
cmkluza
Hello, I'm having a little trouble figuring out the following problem:

Consider the set of number [tex]a, 2a, 3a, ..., na[/tex] where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]n[/tex] are positive integers.

(i) Show that the expression for the mean of this set is [tex]\frac{a(n+1)}{2}[/tex].

So far the only work I've been able to muster up is:

Mean = [tex]\frac{a+2a+3a+...+na}{n} = \frac{a(1+2+3+...+n)}{n} = a(\frac{1+2+3+...}{n}+1) = \frac{a+2a+3a+...}{n}+a[/tex]

I'm not sure what to do with the indefinitely large sum of numbers that are involved with [tex] a [/tex] in this problem, and I'm not really sure how to configure the problem into the simplified expression for mean shown in the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Read about arithmetic progression. In this case, it is sufficient to note that $1+\dots+n=(1+n)+(2+(n-1))+\dots$ where in the second sum the number of terms is $n/2$ and each term equals $n+1$. Consider what $n/2$ means more precisely in this context when $n$ is even and when it is odd.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Read about arithmetic progression. In this case, it is sufficient to note that $1+\dots+n=(1+n)+(2+(n-1))+\dots$ where in the second sum the number of terms is $n/2$ and each term equals $n+1$. Consider what $n/2$ means more precisely in this context when $n$ is even and when it is odd.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Sorry I wasn't able to reply in a while, but it makes much more sense now. Thanks again!

Related to Finding Mean of a Set of Abstract Numbers

What is the mean of a set of abstract numbers?

The mean of a set of abstract numbers is the sum of all the numbers in the set divided by the total number of numbers in the set.

How do you find the mean of a set of abstract numbers?

To find the mean, add all of the numbers in the set together and then divide the sum by the total number of numbers in the set.

Why is finding the mean important in scientific research?

Finding the mean allows scientists to understand the average value of a set of data, which can provide valuable insights and help make informed decisions in their research.

What is the difference between mean and median?

The mean is the average of a set of numbers, while the median is the middle value in a set of numbers when they are arranged in numerical order. The mean is affected by extreme values, while the median is not.

Can the mean be calculated for any type of data?

Yes, the mean can be calculated for any type of data, including abstract numbers. It is a useful measure of central tendency for both quantitative and qualitative data.