Finding Mean of a Set of Abstract Numbers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
cmkluza
Messages
118
Reaction score
1
Hello, I'm having a little trouble figuring out the following problem:

Consider the set of number [tex]a, 2a, 3a, ..., na[/tex] where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]n[/tex] are positive integers.

(i) Show that the expression for the mean of this set is [tex]\frac{a(n+1)}{2}[/tex].

So far the only work I've been able to muster up is:

Mean = [tex]\frac{a+2a+3a+...+na}{n} = \frac{a(1+2+3+...+n)}{n} = a(\frac{1+2+3+...}{n}+1) = \frac{a+2a+3a+...}{n}+a[/tex]

I'm not sure what to do with the indefinitely large sum of numbers that are involved with [tex]a[/tex] in this problem, and I'm not really sure how to configure the problem into the simplified expression for mean shown in the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Read about arithmetic progression. In this case, it is sufficient to note that $1+\dots+n=(1+n)+(2+(n-1))+\dots$ where in the second sum the number of terms is $n/2$ and each term equals $n+1$. Consider what $n/2$ means more precisely in this context when $n$ is even and when it is odd.
 
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Read about arithmetic progression. In this case, it is sufficient to note that $1+\dots+n=(1+n)+(2+(n-1))+\dots$ where in the second sum the number of terms is $n/2$ and each term equals $n+1$. Consider what $n/2$ means more precisely in this context when $n$ is even and when it is odd.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Sorry I wasn't able to reply in a while, but it makes much more sense now. Thanks again!