Calculating Minimum Angular Speed for Michelson's Light Speed Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about using Michelson's setup to measure the speed of light with mirrors placed on Mt. San Antonio and Mt. Wilson. The minimum angular speed for the rotating mirror is calculated using a value of 3.00 x 10^8 m/s for the speed of light. The solution involves finding Δt and dividing it by 8 to get the time for one revolution.
phys62

Homework Statement

The figure illustrates Michelson's setup for measuring the speed of light with the mirrors placed on Mt. San Antonio and Mt. Wilson in California, which are 35 km apart. Using a value of 3.00 x 108 m/s for the speed of light, find the minimum angular speed (in rev/s) for the rotating mirror.

Link to figure: http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1507/art/qb/qu/c24/ch24f_12.gif

Homework Equations

delta t = 2d/c

The Attempt at a Solution

delta t = 2(3500)/3x10^8 = 2.33x10^-4

Now if I'm on the right track, then I'm not sure what my next step should be.. I feel like I should be dividing or multiplying by 8 since I was told the object is an octagon. Am I right??

Physics news on Phys.org
35 km or 3.5 km?

Doesn't the wheel have to advance 1/8 of a revolution by the time it bounces to see it again in the next successive reflecting surface from when it was originated?

Oh, sorry I meant 2(35000)/3x10^8 = 2.333x10^-4

do I then just divide that by 8 to get 2.91x10^-5 ?

phys62 said:
Oh, sorry I meant 2(35000)/3x10^8 = 2.333x10^-4

do I then just divide that by 8 to get 2.91x10^-5 ?

You found Δt and that is 1/8 of a rev isn't it?

So how long to make a rev?

I took 2.333x10^-4 and multiplied that by 8 to get .0018664 rev/s but that answer is incorrect

phys62 said:
I took 2.333x10^-4 and multiplied that by 8 to get .0018664 rev/s but that answer is incorrect

The time for a revolution is not rev/s.

Awesome, got it! 535.79. Thanks for the help! :]

1. What is minimum angular speed?

Minimum angular speed is the smallest angular speed at which an object can rotate and still maintain its stability. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is crucial for understanding the behavior of rotating objects.

2. How is minimum angular speed calculated?

Minimum angular speed is calculated by dividing the minimum angular displacement by the minimum time it takes for an object to rotate through that displacement. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the angular displacement, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the minimum angular speed of an object?

The minimum angular speed of an object is affected by its moment of inertia, the force applied, and the distance from the axis of rotation. A larger moment of inertia or a smaller distance from the axis of rotation will result in a higher minimum angular speed.

4. How does minimum angular speed differ from maximum angular speed?

Minimum angular speed is the smallest speed at which an object can rotate and still maintain its stability, while maximum angular speed is the fastest speed at which an object can rotate without exceeding its structural limitations. In other words, minimum angular speed is the minimum requirement for rotation, while maximum angular speed is the maximum capacity for rotation.

5. Why is understanding minimum angular speed important?

Understanding minimum angular speed is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace. It allows us to determine the stability and limits of rotating objects, and is crucial in designing and analyzing systems that involve rotation.