Finding Minimum from a completion of a square

In summary: You can solve for a by substituting one of the equations into the other and then solving for a. Once you have a, you can plug it back into either equation to solve for alpha.
Diving both equations would give [itex]\tan \alpha = - \sqrt 3 [/itex] from which you can get alpha.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
but if u divide them both it will be

[tex]a\tan{\alpha} = -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}[/tex]

The a will cancel out and what you wrote isn't correct. You either divide the first by the second and get [itex]\cot \alpha = - \sqrt 3 /3[/itex] or you divide the second by the first and you get what I had, which has the same solutions for alpha of course :smile:

so what is the final answer? [itex]\tan \alpha = - \sqrt 3 [/itex]
and that's it?

Now find alpha...

what do you mean find alpha? didnt we just do that? is that -60 degrees or [tex]\frac{-\pi}{3}[/tex]

its just that i have no idea on what the final equation looks like both sides don't match at all right now, i have:

[tex]\sqrt{3}\sin{2t} - 3\cos{2t} = -\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

is that correct so far?

Last edited:
Yes, or 2pi/3. Now it's easy to find a using one of the two equations.

wait you said you can find A by using one of the two equations, you mean like this

[tex]a\sin{2pi/3} = -3[/tex]

?

Indeed, now solve for a.

i would get -3.464 now what do i do with that? can you just tell me the answer its been 7 hours already...

sin(2pi/3) = sqrt3/2, so a = -2sqrt3 when you use that angle alpha.
You can find another solution by using the other angle.

what other angle?! we only have -60

[tex]\tan \alpha = - \sqrt 3 \Leftrightarrow \alpha = - \pi /3 + 2k\pi \,\, \vee \,\, \alpha = 2\pi /3 + 2k\pi \Leftrightarrow \alpha = 2\pi /3 + k\pi [/tex]

...this is awsome almost 8 hours and still no answer

Perhaps you should re-read all of the posts and think carefully, all the necessary information has been said. If something is still unclear, be specific about what the problem actually is.

after all this 50 some post...look at the progression...

[tex]\sqrt{3}\sin{2t} - 3\cos{2t} = -\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

seems to me that this is gettin further away from the answer...

Seems to me that you have not carefully read everything which has been said. The -pi/3 was a solution for alpha, not for the RHS in general.