1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Momentum of a fragment after explosion

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small explosive device slicing to the right breaks into two pieces. The momentum of fragment 1 after the explosion is 23kg.m/s 28°RCS

1Physics.jpg

What is the momentum of fragment 2 after the explosion?

2. Relevant equations
    PT=PT'
    P=mv
    Rx= Rcos∅
    Ry= Rsin∅
    R= √x2+y2

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is all the information given. I haven't a clue at how to even begin with this one. We generally receive minimal instruction, and we haven't done a single problem like this one. Everything else was a stationary object exploding and we were given masses and velocities and times.

Do I break it down into x and y components and find out the momentum of the grey line, then use that, combined with the 21° (331°?RCS(no clue if that's right, seeing as he went out in left field the other day with the rcs)) to get the momentum of fragment 2? That's the only thing I can think of

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2
    Vertical component of momentm is also conserved.
    Try to find the relation connecting sine components of the two pieces.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    I was just about to ask what a feynman diagram was doing in introductory physics, then I read the question :D

it's all conservation of momentum!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook