Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding Momentum of a fragment after explosion

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small explosive device slicing to the right breaks into two pieces. The momentum of fragment 1 after the explosion is 23kg.m/s 28°RCS

1Physics.jpg

What is the momentum of fragment 2 after the explosion?

2. Relevant equations
    PT=PT'
    P=mv
    Rx= Rcos∅
    Ry= Rsin∅
    R= √x2+y2

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is all the information given. I haven't a clue at how to even begin with this one. We generally receive minimal instruction, and we haven't done a single problem like this one. Everything else was a stationary object exploding and we were given masses and velocities and times.

Do I break it down into x and y components and find out the momentum of the grey line, then use that, combined with the 21° (331°?RCS(no clue if that's right, seeing as he went out in left field the other day with the rcs)) to get the momentum of fragment 2? That's the only thing I can think of

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2
    Vertical component of momentm is also conserved.
    Try to find the relation connecting sine components of the two pieces.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    I was just about to ask what a feynman diagram was doing in introductory physics, then I read the question :D

it's all conservation of momentum!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook