Finding n number of socks given a probability

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the value of n is 12 if 2 of the socks are chosen at random, the probability that both are red is 0.5.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I have checked and rechecked my thought process, but can't seem to figure this one out.

There are n socks, 3 of which are red. What is the value of n if 2 of the socks are chosen at random, the probability that both are red is 0.5?

This seems like a fairly straightforward combination problem. Here's my work.

\(\displaystyle \left( \frac{\binom{3}{2}}{\binom{n}{2}}=\frac{1}{2} \right) \rightarrow \left( \frac{3}{\frac{n(n-1)}{2!}}=\frac{1}{2} \right) \rightarrow n(n-1)=3\)

Solving that quadratic leads to non-integer solutions so we have a problem. Where's my error?

EDIT: Even approaching it another way I get the same thing. Let's not use combinations. Instead say the probability of choosing 1 red sock is \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{n}\) and after that the probability of choosing another red sock is \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{n-1}\). We get the same thing \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{n} \frac{2}{n-1} = \frac{1}{2}\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your problem is here:

\(\displaystyle \left( \frac{\binom{3}{2}}{\binom{n}{2}}=\frac{1}{2} \right) \rightarrow \left( \frac{3}{\frac{n(n-1)}{2!}}=\frac{1}{2} \right) \rightarrow n(n-1)=3\)

This instead leads to the quadratic:

$n(n-1)=12$

which has integral roots.

Hmm, I appreciate the correction but I still can't spot the error in my work. If the math from my OP you quoted has 3 expressions, in which expression did I first make a mistake. I just can't see it (Headbang).

We have:

$\displaystyle\frac{3}{\frac{n(n-1)}{2}}=\frac{1}{2}$

Next, on the left, we may bring the 2 in the denominator up top as follows:

$\displaystyle\frac{6}{n(n-1)}=\frac{1}{2}$

Cross-multiply:

$n(n-1)=12$

You were essentially trying to use:

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{2}$

and this led to the RHS of you quadratic being 1/4 what it should be.

I got it now. Thank you MarkFL! I was doing some kind of incorrect cancellation with the two in a numerator and denominator across the equals sign instead of cross-multiplying.

This kind of small thing can be maddening! Thanks again. :)

Very glad to offer a second pair of eyes! (Smile)

Related to Finding n number of socks given a probability

What is the probability of finding n number of socks?

The probability of finding n number of socks depends on the total number of socks available and the probability of selecting a single sock. For example, if there are 20 socks and the probability of selecting a single sock is 1/20, then the probability of finding exactly n number of socks would be (1/20)^n.

How can I calculate the probability of finding n number of socks?

To calculate the probability of finding n number of socks, you need to know the total number of socks available and the probability of selecting a single sock. The formula for calculating the probability is (1/p)^n, where p is the probability of selecting a single sock.

What is the difference between finding n number of socks and finding at least n number of socks?

Finding n number of socks means finding exactly n number of socks, whereas finding at least n number of socks means finding n number of socks or more. In other words, finding at least n number of socks includes the possibility of finding more than n number of socks.

Can I use the same probability for finding n number of socks and finding at least n number of socks?

No, the probability would be different for finding n number of socks and finding at least n number of socks. The probability for finding n number of socks would be (1/p)^n, whereas the probability for finding at least n number of socks would be 1 - (1/p)^n.

What factors can affect the probability of finding n number of socks?

The probability of finding n number of socks can be affected by the total number of socks available, the probability of selecting a single sock, and any other factors that may influence the selection process (e.g. if the socks are not evenly distributed). Additionally, the probability may change if the total number of socks or the probability of selecting a single sock changes.