Finding non-trivial linear combination

In summary: In particular, since c_3 is a free variable, choosing c_3= 7 will give c_1= 1, c_2= -4. Choosing c_3= 2 will give c_1= 1, c_2= -8. In summary, The set is linearly dependent because we can find a nontrivial linear combination of the vectors that results in the zero vector. We can do this by using Gauss-Jordan elimination to reduce the matrix to reduced row-echelon form and then reading off the coefficients of the linear combination. The resulting coefficients are c1=1, c2=-4, and c3=7/2. This shows that one of the vectors
trojansc82

Homework Statement

Show that the set is linearly dependent by finding a nontrivial linear combination (of vectors in the set) whose sum is the zero vector. Then express one of the vectors in the set as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

Homework Equations

c1(u1,u2,3) + c2(v1,v2,v3) +c3(w1,w2,w3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unable to find a way to solve this using Gauss-Jordan elimination. My initial matrix looks like this:

[ 3 -1 2 0 ]
[ 4 1 0 0 ]

Physics news on Phys.org
trojansc82 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the set is linearly dependent by finding a nontrivial linear combination (of vectors in the set) whose sum is the zero vector. Then express one of the vectors in the set as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

Homework Equations

c1(u1,u2,3) + c2(v1,v2,v3) +c3(w1,w2,w3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unable to find a way to solve this using Gauss-Jordan elimination. My initial matrix looks like this:

[ 3 -1 2 0 ]
[ 4 1 0 0 ]

Are the vectors you are to show are linearly dependent the first three columns of your matrix? To use Gauss-Jordan, you could start by adding (-4) times the first row to 3 times the second row.

Mark44 said:
Are the vectors you are to show are linearly dependent the first three columns of your matrix? To use Gauss-Jordan, you could start by adding (-4) times the first row to 3 times the second row.

I did that, and all it did was get rid of the coefficient c1. I now have:

[3 -1 2 0]
[0 -7 8 0]

I'm confused as to how to proceed from this point.

1. Multiply row 2 by -1/7 to make the first entry in that row a 1.
2. Use that entry to eliminate the entry directly above it.
3. Multiply row 1 by 1/3.
The matrix will now be in reduced, row-echelon form. Read off the coefficients of c1, c2, and c3.

Mark44 said:
1. Multiply row 2 by -1/7 to make the first entry in that row a 1.
2. Use that entry to eliminate the entry directly above it.
3. Multiply row 1 by 1/3.
The matrix will now be in reduced, row-echelon form. Read off the coefficients of c1, c2, and c3.

In row 1, I have c1 = 1, c2 = 0, c3 = 2/7.

However, the answer in the back of the book states that the coefficients are c1=1, c2=-4, and c3=7/2.

Without using matrices:

Assuming your vectors are <3, 4> , <-1, 1>, < 2, 0>, then any linear combination is of the form a<3, 4>+ b<-1, 1>+ c<2, 0>= <3a- b+ c, 4a+ b> and you want that equal to the 0 vector, <0, 0> so you want 3a- b+ c= 0 and 4a+ b= 0.

That is two equations in three unknowns so of course there are an infinite number of solutions.

If you do what Mark44 suggested, divide the first row by 3 and the second by -7, you get
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -\frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & -\frac{8}{7} & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Which does NOT give specific numbers as solutions. There are, as I said, an infinite number of solutions. The first row of the matrix is equivalent to the equation [itex]c_1- (1/3)c_2+ (2/3)c_3= 0[/itex] and the second row is equivalent to the equation [itex]c_2- (8/7)c_3= 0[/itex]. You can solve the second equation for [itex]c_2[/itex] as a multiple of [itex]c_3[/itex], replace [itex]c_2[/itex] in the first equation with that and then solve for [itex]c_1[/itex] as a multiple of [itex]c_3[/itex]. Choosing different values for [itex]c_3[/itex] will give different answers.

Related to Finding non-trivial linear combination

1. What is a non-trivial linear combination?

A non-trivial linear combination is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying a set of variables by constants and adding them together. The term "non-trivial" means that the variables and constants are not all equal to zero.

2. Why is finding non-trivial linear combinations important in science?

Finding non-trivial linear combinations is important because it allows scientists to express complex relationships between variables in a simple, mathematical form. This makes it easier to analyze and understand data, and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

3. How do you find non-trivial linear combinations?

To find non-trivial linear combinations, you can use various mathematical techniques such as matrix operations, Gaussian elimination, or solving systems of equations. It may also involve trial and error or using computer programs.

4. Can non-trivial linear combinations be used in any field of science?

Yes, non-trivial linear combinations can be used in any field of science that involves analyzing and understanding relationships between variables. This includes physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and many others.

5. What are some real-world applications of non-trivial linear combinations?

Non-trivial linear combinations have many practical applications in science, such as modeling chemical reactions, predicting the behavior of complex systems, and analyzing data from experiments. They are also used in fields such as machine learning, signal processing, and image recognition.