Finding Points of Tangency for the Unit Circle

In summary, Mandelbroth attempted to find an equation in terms of x and m that satisfied both equations, but was unsuccessful. He uploaded a diagram that showed what he was working on, but he needs help understanding what the solution to the quadratic equation tells him.
Cascadian
Hi I'm trying to study over break, this isn't an exact quote but its the part of the problem I need help with. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Draw the unit circle and plot the point P=(3,2). Observe there are TWO lines tangent to the circle passing through the point P. Lines L1 and L2 are tangent to the circle at what points?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the point into a point-slope formula, it was kind of a dead end for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
draw a figure and show what you know

Pick a point on the unit circle, (cos α, sin α) say. Write down the equation of the tangent there.

haruspex said:
Pick a point on the unit circle, (cos α, sin α) say. Write down the equation of the tangent there.

How about if we get him to draw a diagram first and then help him from there?

Cascadian said:
Hi I'm trying to study over break, this isn't an exact quote but its the part of the problem I need help with. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Draw the unit circle and plot the point P=(3,2). Observe there are TWO lines tangent to the circle passing through the point P. Lines L1 and L2 are tangent to the circle at what points?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the point into a point-slope formula, it was kind of a dead end for me.
Equation for unit circle is [itex]y^2 + x^2 = 1[/itex]. Equation for line passing through point P=(3,2) is [itex]y - 2 = m(x-3)[/itex].

These facts might be helpful. They might also fit under that bold region labeled "2. Homework Equations ".

So, the question is this: if you want to find 2 values for x and y such that both equations are satisfied, what can you do with the two equations? :wink:

Hi everyone, thank you for the input. Let me clarify my situation, I uploaded a diagram; the approach I had been working on was the one Mandelbroth had mentioned. I had [itex]y = mx-m3+2[/itex] and [itex]y^2 + x^2 = 1[/itex], when I plugged the first equation into the second I wasn't sure what to do especially because there were now 3 unknown variables, y, x, and m. That's where I'm at now.

Attachments

• tangent.jpeg
    tangent.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 886
Cascadian said:
Hi everyone, thank you for the input. Let me clarify my situation, I uploaded a diagram; the approach I had been working on was the one Mandelbroth had mentioned. I had [itex]y = mx-m3+2[/itex] and [itex]y^2 + x^2 = 1[/itex], when I plugged the first equation into the second I wasn't sure what to do especially because there were now 3 unknown variables, y, x, and m. That's where I'm at now.
The problem with htat approach is that nowhere have you specified that the line is supposed to be a tangent. Do you know how to write down the generic equation for a tangent to circle at a given point, (cos θ, sin θ) say?

Cascadian said:

Yes, so if you plug [itex]y=mx-3m+2[/itex] into [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex] then you'll have an equation in terms of x and m. It will be a quadratic in x, so if you solve the quadratic for x, you'll have a solution that is in terms of m.

Now, what you need to do is to understand what the solution to the quadratic is telling you. What does the discriminant in the quadratic formula say?

haruspex said:
The problem with htat approach is that nowhere have you specified that the line is supposed to be a tangent. Do you know how to write down the generic equation for a tangent to circle at a given point, (cos θ, sin θ) say?

There is no problem with that approach. He'll be picking the values of m that are tangents to the circle soon enough.

Distance from O to point (3,2) uses distance formula.
Distance from any point on circle to O is 1 for a unit circle.
Two points on the circle are tangency points, upper may be called B, (x2, y2).
Angle of triangle at B is right-angle, so POB is right triangle.
Distance from B to point (3,2) uses Pythagorean Theorem, because you know the other two triangle side lengths.

Use DISTANCE FORMULA again for B to point (3,2).

Two equations and unknowns:
x2+y2=1
BP=sqrt((3-x)2+(2-y)2)

1. What is a point of tangency for the unit circle?

A point of tangency for the unit circle is a point where a tangent line touches the circle at exactly one point. This point lies on the circumference of the circle and is perpendicular to the radius at that point.

2. How many points of tangency does the unit circle have?

The unit circle has exactly two points of tangency, one on the top half and one on the bottom half of the circle. This is because the unit circle has a radius of 1, and any line tangent to a circle can only intersect the circle at two points.

3. How do you find the coordinates of a point of tangency on the unit circle?

To find the coordinates of a point of tangency on the unit circle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Let x be the x-coordinate and y be the y-coordinate of the point of tangency. Then, x^2 + y^2 = 1. Solving for either x or y will give you the coordinates of the point.

4. Can there be more than two points of tangency for the unit circle?

No, there can only be two points of tangency for the unit circle. This is because the unit circle has a fixed radius of 1, and any line tangent to a circle can only intersect the circle at two points.

5. How are points of tangency used in trigonometry?

Points of tangency are used in trigonometry to define the six trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These functions are defined as the ratios of the sides of a right triangle formed by a point on the unit circle and the origin. The point of tangency is used to find the coordinates of the point on the unit circle, which are then used to calculate the trigonometric function values.