How to Understand Position Uncertainty in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, according to the uncertainty principle, the better we know a particle's position at a given time, the worse we will know its momentum at that time.
ognik

Homework Statement

I don't understand how the following works:

Homework Equations

I follow ## \Delta \nu_0 = \frac{\hbar }{2 m \Delta x_0} ## easily, but then

## \Delta x = \frac{\hbar }{2 m \Delta x_0} t ## ;leaves me puzzled - I understand multiplying through by t, but how does ## \nu_0 t = \Delta x ## instead of ## = \Delta x_0 ## ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I follow Δν0=ℏ2mΔx0Δν0=ℏ2mΔx0 \Delta \nu_0 = \frac{\hbar }{2 m \Delta x_0} easily, but then

Δx=ℏ2mΔx0tΔx=ℏ2mΔx0t \Delta x = \frac{\hbar }{2 m \Delta x_0} t ;leaves me puzzled - I understand multiplying through by t, but how does ν0t=Δxν0t=Δx \nu_0 t = \Delta x instead of =Δx0=Δx0 = \Delta x_0 ?

please enter the physical picture- what you are attempting at so that uncertainties in measurements can be defined-physics is not purely mathematical formula -as i understand you are using position / momentum uncertainty realation or energy/ time which are canonially conjugate observables and represented by your relationship !

Frustratingly I can't find the source I found this in, but this was in a section on wave packets and the uncertainty principle - and my apologies for using \nu instead of v ...

##\Delta x_0 \Delta p_0 \ge \frac{\hbar}{2} ##
## \therefore \Delta v_0 \ge \frac{\hbar}{2 m \Delta x_0 } ##
## \therefore \Delta x \ge \frac{\hbar}{2 m \Delta x_0 } t ##
So my question is just why ## \Delta v_0 t = \Delta x ## and not ## \Delta x_0 ##?

ognik said:
Frustratingly I can't find the source I found this in, but this was in a section on wave packets and the uncertainty principle - and my apologies for using \nu instead of v ...

##\Delta x_0 \Delta p_0 \ge \frac{\hbar}{2} ##
## \therefore \Delta v_0 \ge \frac{\hbar}{2 m \Delta x_0 } ##
## \therefore \Delta x \ge \frac{\hbar}{2 m \Delta x_0 } t ##
So my question is just why ## \Delta v_0 t = \Delta x ## and not ## \Delta x_0 ##?

then its a 'riddle' in the sense that your uncertainty in x(0) and p(0) is related by your given equation -
if its at time say t=t(0) then as time advances -goes to t=t they wish to calculate the delta change in x i.e. equivalent to ( x- x(0))
its an infinitesimal change in x so its written in that manner- this has been effected by the uncertainty in v(0) times the time elasped , so if somebody has plotted a shape of the packet with time with t it may be seen as spread of the wave packet in x and naturally its momentum will be /may be more sharp-
but the above is a wild guess only and any question /problem should be framed in a context- if you look up any text on QM and see the discussion on time development of a packet -then perhaps you can get open the riddle yourself
we know how a gaussian packet spreads with time - as the graphs are given in textbooks

For instance, if an electron is originally localized in a region of atomic scale (i.e., [PLAIN]http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/img395.png) then the doubling time is only about [PLAIN]http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/img396.png. Evidently, particle wave packets (for freely moving particles) spread very rapidly..

for details see <http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node26.html>

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ognik
Thanks drvrm. Could you check that link please, I get not found?

ognik said:
Thanks drvrm. Could you check that link please, I get not found?

thanks the ref given earlier. is not good/working
you can instead look up the following
<The spreading of the wave packet makes sense in terms of the Uncertainty Principle.
Suppose a particle has an uncertainty in position of ∆x0 at t=0. The momentum at t=0 is p0 . The uncertainty in momentum at this time is at least (1) Thus, we can determine the uncertainty in speed as (2)
From this we can determine the uncertainty in position and at a later time. (3) Thus, we see that the uncertainty in position at any later time is inversely proportional to the initial position. The better we know it now, the worse we will know it later.
Hopefully this principle does not apply to your knowledge of quantum mechanics.>

ref.https://web.phys.ksu.edu/vqm/vqmnextgen/qmbasics/wavepackets.pdf
perhaps /actually you were talking about this piece of work!

1. What is position uncertainty?

Position uncertainty refers to the range of possible locations where an object or particle could be found. It is a measure of the accuracy and precision of the position measurement.

2. How is position uncertainty calculated?

Position uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the errors and uncertainties in the measurement process, such as instrument limitations and human error. It is typically expressed as a range or standard deviation.

3. Why is position uncertainty important?

Position uncertainty is important because it allows us to understand and quantify the limitations of our measurements. It also helps us to assess the reliability of our results and make more informed decisions based on the data.

4. How can we reduce position uncertainty?

Position uncertainty can be reduced by improving the accuracy and precision of the measurement process, using more precise instruments, and minimizing sources of error. It can also be reduced by taking multiple measurements and using statistical analysis to determine the most likely position.

5. What are some common sources of position uncertainty?

Common sources of position uncertainty include limitations of measurement instruments, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, human error, and limitations of the measurement technique. Random variations and fluctuations in the system can also contribute to position uncertainty.