Finding potential using Greens function

In summary, the potential satisfies ##\nabla^2 \phi=0## in the volume ##V={z\geqslant a}## with boundary condition ##\partial \phi / \partial n =F_{s}(\rho, \phi)## on the surface ##S={z=0}##.
sayebms

Homework Statement

A potential ##\phi(\rho, \phi ,z)## satisfies ##\nabla^2 \phi=0## in the volume ##V={z\geqslant a}## with boundary condition ##\partial \phi / \partial n =F_{s}(\rho, \phi)## on the surface ##S={z=0}##.
a) write the Neumann Green's function ##G_N (x,x')## within V in cylindrical coordinates ##\rho, \phi, z (and \rho', \phi', z')##. Evaluate G and its normal derivative ##\partial G/ \partial n'## for x' on S.
b) For zero charge density and with boudnary condition ##F_S=E_0## (constant) within the circle ##\rho < a ## and zero outside, find the potential on the z-axis. compare the limit z-->0 of your solution with the given boundary condition.
c) Find the first two nonvanishing terms in the potential for ##r=\sqrt(\rho ^2 +z^2)>> a##. Compare with (b) where the two overlap. what is the charge inferred from the large-r potential?

Homework Equations

##\phi=<\phi>_S +\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon}\int \rho G_N d^3x' +\frac{1}{4 \pi} \int\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \phi} G_N d^2a'##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) the green function is ##G_N = \frac{1}{|\vec x -\vec x'|}##
##|\vec x -\vec x'|^2 = \vec x.\vec x + \vec x'.\vec x' -2\vec x.\vec x' ##
thus in cyllindrical coordinates:
##G_N = \frac{1}{\sqrt (\rho^2 + z^2 +\rho'^2 + z'^2 -2\sqrt((\rho^2 + z^2)(\rho'^2 + z'^2)cos\gamma)}##
so its normal derivative for x' on S will vanish and its value for x' on S is (z'=0):
##G_N = \frac{1}{ (\rho^2 + z^2 +\rho'^2 -2\rho' \sqrt((\rho^2 + z^2)cos\gamma)^{1/2}}##

b) on the z axis ##\rho =0## (this is not the charge density ##\rho## from ## \nabla ^2 \phi=0## we know that charge density is zero that's why the volume term vanishes )and ##\theta=0 --> cos\gamma =cos\theta'## and on the sruface z'=0 ##cos\gamma=0##
##\phi=<\phi>_S +\frac{1}{4 \pi} \int E_0 \frac{1}{ (z^2 +\rho'^2 )^{1/2}} d^2a'##
as ##d^2a' = \rho' d\rho' d\phi'## we have the following

##\phi=<\phi>_S +\frac{E_0}{2} \int_{0}^{a} \frac{\rho' d\rho'}{ (z^2 +\rho'^2 )^{1/2}}##
I would like to ask if till this point I have done anything wrong or if I have missed anything? and also how should I proceed with the surface term: ##<\phi>_S##, since I don't know the value of ##\phi##. I appreciate any help. thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Fred Wright said:
You must expand your Green's function in terms of a sum over Bessel functions and modified Bessel functions. For a good explanation of this procedure see http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/COURSES/ELECTRODYNAMICS/Chap3/chap3.pdf
I have actually found out a way to do it, its not through bessels functions though. but thank you for the help

1. What is the Greens function method?

The Greens function method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations by decomposing them into simpler problems. It involves finding a function, known as the Greens function, which satisfies the differential equation and can be used to determine the solution for any point in the domain.

2. How is the Greens function used to find potential?

In the context of electromagnetism, the Greens function can be used to solve for the electric potential at any point in space given a distribution of charges. This is done by representing the electric potential as a convolution of the Greens function with the charge distribution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Greens function method?

The Greens function method allows for the solution of complex differential equations by breaking them down into simpler problems. It also provides a general solution that can be applied to any point in the domain, making it a powerful and versatile tool in many scientific fields.

4. How is the Greens function calculated?

The Greens function is typically calculated by solving the differential equation at hand with specific boundary conditions. In some cases, analytical solutions can be obtained, but in more complex cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the Greens function.

5. What are some applications of the Greens function method?

The Greens function method has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in electromagnetism to study electric and magnetic fields, in fluid dynamics to solve for flow patterns, and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles. It is also used in image processing and signal analysis.