Finding potential using poisson's equation, not a homework problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of partial differential equations to solve for the scalar electric potential in electrostatics. The Poisson and Laplace equations are mentioned, and the need for a charge density function for the former is emphasized. The speaker also presents a potential function, but it is shown to not be a valid solution for Laplace's equation due to not satisfying the boundary conditions.
yungman
This is not a homework problem. I just want to have a better understanding of scalar electric potential.

In electrostatic, [itex]\; V=-\int_A^B \vec E \cdot \hat{T} dl \;[/itex] where the solution is:

[tex]V=\frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{B} [/tex]

Where we assume [itex]\; A=\infty[/itex].

At the same time, [itex] \vec E = -\nabla V \Rightarrow \nabla \cdot \nabla \vec E = -\nabla^2 V[/itex].

I want to see whether I can solve V using partial differential equation technique by using:

[tex]V(x,y)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} E_{mn} sin(\frac{m\pi}{a}) sin(\frac{n\pi}{b})[/tex]

Where a and b are the boundary condition. My question is how do I set up the boundary condition a and b?

Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I want to see whether I can solve V using partial differential equation technique ...
What exactly do you mean by "solve V"? Solve what for V? Your title mentions the Poisson equation which is $$\frac{\partial^2 V(x,y)}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V(x,y)}{\partial y^2}=\rho(x,y)$$To do that, you will need the charge density function ##\rho(x,y)## (I assume this is a 2-D situation) which you do not provide.
If instead you want to solve Laplace's equation,$$\frac{\partial^2 V(x,y)}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V(x,y)}{\partial y^2}=0,$$then you need to do so by separating variables (there are many videos on the internet to show you how), find the most general solution and then apply the boundary conditions of your choice to narrow down the most general solution and figure out the separation constant.

What you have for ##V(x,y)## is not the most general solution. You probably meant to write$$V(x,y)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} E_{mn} \sin(\frac{m\pi x}{a}) \sin(\frac{n\pi y}{b}),$$ but ## \sin(\frac{m\pi x}{a}) \sin(\frac{n\pi y}{b})## is not a solution of Laplace's equation as you can verify by direct substitution and neither is a linear combination of such terms. I don't think that your ##V(x,y)## can be of any use. It is a function that vanishes at the rectangular boundaries because ##V(0,y)=V(x,0)=V(a,y)=V(x,b)=0##. Now if the potential vanishes at all four boundaries of the rectangle, the uniqueness theorem says that the solution inside the rectangle is the trivial solution ##V(x,y)=0##.

FAQ: Finding potential using poisson's equation, not a homework problem.

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the electric potential at a point in space due to a given charge distribution.

2. How is Poisson's equation used to find potential?

Poisson's equation is used by solving for the electric potential at each point in space, using the charge distribution and boundary conditions as inputs. The resulting potential map can then be used to understand the behavior of electric fields in a given system.

3. How is Poisson's equation different from Coulomb's law?

Poisson's equation is a differential equation that can be used to find the potential at any point in space, while Coulomb's law only calculates the force between two charged particles at a specific distance.

4. What are the limitations of using Poisson's equation to find potential?

Poisson's equation assumes a static charge distribution and does not account for time-varying electric fields. It also assumes a linear relationship between the potential and charge distribution, which may not hold true in all cases.

5. In what fields is Poisson's equation commonly used?

Poisson's equation is commonly used in the fields of electromagnetism, electrostatics, and quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of electric fields and potential in various systems.

Back