Finding quadratic irrationals from their decimal form

In summary: I think a good way to approach it would be to look for patterns in the decimal representation of the quadratic irrationals, and then use those patterns to find a way to convert them into the desired form.In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of converting the solutions of polynomials with higher powers into an exact form, such as quadratic irrationals/surds. The use of continued fractions is mentioned as a potential method, but it is noted that it can be difficult to find where the fractions repeat and may require a lot of accuracy in calculations. It is also mentioned that not all zeroes of polynomials can be represented as quadratic irrationals, and it is theoretically possible to represent all continued fractions as surds. The conversation then
rabbit boy
Okay, this is something that's been bugging me for a while. A lot of the polynomials with higher powers can't be solved using algebraic methods and must be estimated. So my idea was to take these answers and find a way to convert them into an exact form, such as quadratic irrationals/surds.

I do not know if all zeroes of polynomials can be represented as quadratic irrationals. However, I did find out that you can use continued fractions to get a quadratic irrational solution from its decimal value to its [itex]\dfrac{a + b\sqrt{c}}{d}[/itex] form.

The problem I'm having with continued fractions is that you have to keep going until you find where they repeat, for many quadratic irrationals there are dozens of numbers in the series, and I don't have enough accuracy in my calculations to find where it repeats.

And then of course there's guess and check, but I don't know a way of doing it efficiently yet.

So what should I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No matter how many decimal places you got, there are in theory infinite number of irrationals that fit, and a lot of them not in the form of surds. So I think it will to futile to look for such a way.

wywong said:
No matter how many decimal places you got, there are in theory infinite number of irrationals that fit, and a lot of them not in the form of surds. So I think it will to futile to look for such a way.

I already know it's possible to find what the quadratic irrational is with continued fractions. I made a thread about it on another forum.

http://bbs.zoklet.net/showthread.php?t=11555

Last edited by a moderator:
But that was not your question. You asked about using continued fractions to get exact solutions to higher degree equations. "I do not know if all zeroes of polynomials can be represented as quadratic irrationals." No, they cannot. All quadratic irrationals can be represented as surds. Not all zeroes of polynomials can be. Further, it is at least theorectically possible to represent all continued fractions as surds so it is not possible to represent all solutions to polynomial equations as continued fractions either.

I once read that if we could invert the function x^5 + x = y to be x = f(y) then we could solve all 5 degree polynomials using algebraic operations together with the function f.

confinement said:
I once read that if we could invert the function x^5 + x = y to be x = f(y) then we could solve all 5 degree polynomials using algebraic operations together with the function f.

What you read is true, so what? All polynomials can be solved in any algebraically complete field such as the complex numbers. The question is what operations are needed to effect the solution. Field operations and root extractions suffice for at most quartic equations. A possible additional operation to allow solution of quintics in the bring radical you mention.

HallsofIvy said:
But that was not your question. You asked about using continued fractions to get exact solutions to higher degree equations. "I do not know if all zeroes of polynomials can be represented as quadratic irrationals." No, they cannot. All quadratic irrationals can be represented as surds. Not all zeroes of polynomials can be. Further, it is at least theorectically possible to represent all continued fractions as surds so it is not possible to represent all solutions to polynomial equations as continued fractions either.

My question is, for zeroes that can be represented in the form [itex]\dfrac{a + b\sqrt{c}}{d}[/itex], what is a good way to convert them from decimal form to that?

I already know how to do it with continued fractions, but sometimes it requires too many digits of precision. so I'm probably looking for a different way to do it.

I'm sorry for not being clear about that.

And thank you, you two, for answering whether all of them can be represented in that form. I was just a bit grumpy yesterday.

rabbit boy said:
My question is, for zeroes that can be represented in the form [itex]\dfrac{a + b\sqrt{c}}{d}[/itex], what is a good way to convert them from decimal form to that?
I think in general it would be hard.

1. How do you find quadratic irrationals from their decimal form?

The process of finding quadratic irrationals from their decimal form involves identifying a pattern in the decimal representation and using algebraic techniques to express the number as a quadratic irrational. This can be done by manipulating the decimal representation and using the quadratic formula to solve for the irrational number.

2. What is a quadratic irrational?

A quadratic irrational is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and has a quadratic surd (a number that involves the square root of a non-square integer) in its decimal representation. Examples of quadratic irrationals include the golden ratio and the square root of 2.

3. Can all quadratic irrationals be expressed in decimal form?

No, not all quadratic irrationals can be expressed in decimal form. Some quadratic irrationals, such as the square root of a prime number, have an infinite and non-repeating decimal representation. These numbers are known as non-terminating and non-repeating decimals and cannot be fully expressed in decimal form.

4. Why is it important to find quadratic irrationals from their decimal form?

Finding quadratic irrationals from their decimal form can help us understand the properties and behaviors of these numbers, which have important applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, it can aid in solving problems involving quadratic irrationals and creating more efficient algorithms for calculating these numbers.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding quadratic irrationals from their decimal form?

While there are no universal shortcuts or tricks for finding quadratic irrationals from their decimal form, there are some techniques that can make the process easier. These include using continued fractions, recognizing patterns in the decimal representation, and utilizing algebraic identities and formulas.