Real Zeros of Quadratic Functions: x^2-3x-28, x^2+12x+36, x^2-3, 4-x^2

• Thread starter Sonny18n
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the real zeros of quadratic functions, with specific examples given. The process involves factoring the functions and setting the factors equal to zero, which results in the zeros. The difference of squares formula and the quadratic equation can also be used to find the zeros. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of understanding the concepts rather than simply memorizing formulas.
Sonny18n

Homework Statement

Find the real zeros of the following quadratic functions. Every problem will have an f(x)= in front of it.
1) x^2- 3x- 28
2) x^2+12x+36
3)x^2- 3
4) 4- x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Common factors are 7 and 4.
So would it be (x+7)?(x-4)=0?
Which means the zeros would be -7 and 4. If I'm doing it right that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right track.
For the first one, you correctly identified the 4 and 7, but your signs were wrong when you put them into the polynomials.
(x+7)(x-4) = x^2 +7x -4x -28 = x^2 +3x -28. Switch the signs, and you should be good to keep going in that direction to solve the rest.

RUber said:
I think you are on the right track.
For the first one, you correctly identified the 4 and 7, but your signs were wrong when you put them into the polynomials.
(x+7)(x-4) = x^2 +7x -4x -28 = x^2 +3x -28. Switch the signs, and you should be good to keep going in that direction to solve the rest.
Wait so the zeros are 7 and -4? I saw somewhere that the factoring and zeros were opposite. Or am I confusing myself?

You may be confusing the hint.
Your factored form of (1) should be (x-7)(x+4) = x^2 -7x+4x-28 = x^2-3x-28 which is what you posted.
The zeros of this are clearly when (x-7)=0 or when (x+4)=0. This happens when x = 7 or -4.
Just saying signs are opposite sometimes leads to switching signs where you shouldn't just because you think you are supposed to change them somewhere.

RUber said:
You may be confusing the hint.
Your factored form of (1) should be (x-7)(x+4) = x^2 -7x+4x-28 = x^2-3x-28 which is what you posted.
The zeros of this are clearly when (x-7)=0 or when (x+4)=0. This happens when x = 7 or -4.
Just saying signs are opposite sometimes leads to switching signs where you shouldn't just because you think you are supposed to change them somewhere.
But are there cases where that happens because I get frustrated at that concept. Anyways
2) The 2 zeros would both be positive 6, right?
As for 3 and 4, I just need an example how to factor functions that look like that.

for (2) your factors are (x+6)^2, is that zero when x=6? Finding zeros mean find an x such that the function equals zero at that x.
For 3 and 4, I recommend you use the difference of squares formula:
## a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) ##
When in doubt, the quadratic equation will always work:
For ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx +c ## zeros are at ## x = \frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}##

RUber said:
for (2) your factors are (x+6)^2, is that zero when x=6? Finding zeros mean find an x such that the function equals zero at that x.
For 3 and 4, I recommend you use the difference of squares formula:
## a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) ##
When in doubt, the quadratic equation will always work:
For ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx +c ## zeros are at ## x = \frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}##
For 2 I skipped to the end so I can cover more ground at a quicker pace, Found the common factors and matched with positive 12.

I'm still confused on solving 3 and 4. a^2 - b^2 seems simple enough but look at 3. a should be the first number but it's x^2.

For (2) you found the right factors, x+6 and x+6. The zeros are not at +6.
For (3) you have x^2 - 3. For this form, you want a^2 = x^2 and b^2 = 3.

RUber said:
For (2) you found the right factors, x+6 and x+6. The zeros are not at +6.
For (3) you have x^2 - 3. For this form, you want a^2 = x^2 and b^2 = 3.
Sorry but I still don't understand. What am I doing wrong in 2? And how do I get those functions to equal x^2 and 3?

If you are trying to find the zeros from a factored form, you need to make the factors zero.
2 factors to (x+6)(x+6), what do you get for x=6? 6^2 + 12*6+ 36 = 144. You need to change the sign -- x=-6 gives (-6)^2 +12(-6)+ 36 = 72-72 = 0.
This should make sense since (x+6) is zero when x=-6, and anything times zero is zero.

For 3, let x = a and b =##\sqrt{3}.\quad a^2 = x^2, b^2 = 3.##

Sonny18n said:
Sorry but I still don't understand. What am I doing wrong in 2? And how do I get those functions to equal x^2 and 3?

Since you're obviously trying to learn this quickly, I'll give a short crash course on factorizing.

We have the quadratic [itex]f(x)=x^2+12x+36[/itex].

When we talk about f(x), we are actually talking about [itex]x^2+12x+36[/itex] in this case.
f(1) will then represent f(x) when x=1, hence
[tex]f(x)=x^2+12x+36[/tex]
and
[tex]f(1)=(1)^2+12(1)+36=1+12+36=49[/tex]

Similarly, [itex]f(6)=(6)^2+12(6)+36=12+72+36=144[/itex] and [itex]f(-6)=(-6)^2+12(-6)+36=36-72+36=0[/itex]

Notice f(-6)=0, hence x = -6 is a zero of the quadratic f(x). But of course, it's not easy to figure out the values of x this way. We need to turn to factorizing.
Since you already know how to factorize, we'll move on.

So [itex]f(x)=x^2+12x+36=(x+6)^2[/itex].

Now, f(1)=49 that we saw earlier, but with this factorized form, we can find that out a lot more easily. [itex]f(x)=(x+6)^2[/itex] hence [itex]f(1)=(1+6)^2=7^2=49[/itex].
Similarly,
[tex]f(6)=(6+6)^2=12^2=144[/tex]
and
[tex]f(-6)=(-6+6)^2=0^2=0[/tex]

It was easy to see that x=-6 gave us f(x)=0 because if k represents any number then k2=0 only when k=0. So if we think of x+6 as being k, hence [itex](x+6)^2=k^2[/itex] then we can only get [itex](x+6)^2=0[/itex] by letting x+6=0, solving gives us x=-6.

iYou need to stop memorizing formulas and think about what you are doing! To "find a zero of f(x)" means to solve the equation f(x)= 0. So to find a zero 0 of [itex]f(x)= x^2- 3[/itex] means to solve the equation [itex]x^2- 3= 0[/itex]. I presume you know that you can add the same thing to both sides of the equation so that is the same as [itex]x^2= 3[/itex]. There are two numbers that make that true.

You should also know that if ab= 0 then either a= 0 or b= 0 or both. So to solve [itex]x^2-3x- 28= (x- 7)(x+ 4)= 0 you must have x- 7= 0 and x+ 4= 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
iYou need to stop memorizing formulas and think about what you are doing! To "find a zero of f(x)" means to solve the equation f(x)= 0. So to find a zero 0 of [itex]f(x)= x^2- 3[/itex] means to solve the equation [itex]x^2- 3= 0[/itex]. I presume you know that you can add the same thing to both sides of the equation so that is the same as [itex]x^2= 3[/itex]. There are two numbers that make that true.

You should also know that if ab= 0 then either a= 0 or b= 0 or both. So to solve [itex]x^2-3x- 28= (x- 7)(x+ 4)= 0 you must have x- 7= 0 and x+ 4= 0.

To not confuse the OP even more, that should say: to solve ##x^2 - 3x - 28 = (x-7)(x+4) = 0## you must have x-7 = 0 OR x+4 = 0.

Yes, thank you.

HallsofIvy said:

I think I understand how you got to the x^2=3 part but is the way you get the zero by squaring the 3. You said there were two numbers and.. Ugh

Sonny18n said:
I think I understand how you got to the x^2=3 part but is the way you get the zero by squaring the 3. You said there were two numbers and.. Ugh

No, you do NOT square the 3---you do the exact opposite! Of course, there are two roots; if x = r is one root, so is x = -r, because ##(-r)^2 = (+r)^2##, so both -r and +r have the same "square".

Ray Vickson said:
No, you do NOT square the 3---you do the exact opposite! Of course, there are two roots; if x = r is one root, so is x = -r, because ##(-r)^2 = (+r)^2##, so both -r and +r have the same "square".
Crap, you're right, I meant square root. So the answer is 1.73?

Sonny18n said:
Sonny18n said:

No, because ##\sqrt{3} \neq 1.73##. Your 1.73 is an approximation, not the exact value. In fact, you cannot write down any finite decimal number that gives the answer, because ##\sqrt{3}## is a so-called irrational number. A better approximation to the answer is ##\sqrt{3} \doteq 1.732050808##; an even better approximation is ##\sqrt{3} \doteq 1.7320508075688772935274463415058723669428052538104##, but that is still not exact. (Note that I used "##\doteq##" instead of "##=##", to indicate these are approximations.)

Of course, in practice you might use a calculator to compute an answer, in which case you would make do with a decimal approximation such as 1.73 or 1.7321 or whatever meets the accuracy of your analysis. However, I am trying to get you to realize that you would be dealing with an approximate answer, and somewhere you should indicate that you understand that---either by saying "approximately", or by using a symbol such as "≈" instead "=".

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
No, because ##\sqrt{3} \neq 1.73##. Your 1.73 is an approximation, not the exact value. In fact, you cannot write down any finite decimal number that gives the answer, because ##\sqrt{3}## is a so-called irrational number. A better approximation to the answer is ##\sqrt{3} \doteq 1.732050808##; an even better approximation is ##\sqrt{3} \doteq 1.7320508075688772935274463415058723669428052538104##, but that is still not exact. (Note that I used "##\doteq##" instead of "##=##", to indicate these are approximations.)

Of course, in practice you might use a calculator to compute an answer, in which case you would make do with a decimal approximation such as 1.73 or 1.7321 or whatever meets the accuracy of your analysis. However, I am trying to get you to realize that you would be dealing with an approximate answer, and somewhere you should indicate that you understand that---either by saying "approximately", or by using a symbol such as "≈" instead "=".
Got it, thanks. Can you help me understand 2 a little better?

Sonny18n said:
Got it, thanks. Can you help me understand 2 a little better?
Was my post at #11 not sufficient? What don't you understand?

You should try plotting the function. That might help you see where the zeros should be.

What are real zeros of quadratic functions?

Real zeros of quadratic functions are the values of x that make the function equal to zero. They are the x-intercepts or roots of the quadratic equation.

How do I find the real zeros of a quadratic function?

To find the real zeros of a quadratic function, you can use the quadratic formula or factor the equation. Set the equation equal to zero and solve for x.

What is the difference between real and imaginary zeros of a quadratic function?

Real zeros are the values of x that make the function equal to zero, while imaginary zeros are the values of x that make the function have a complex solution. Imaginary zeros occur when the discriminant of the quadratic function is negative.

Can a quadratic function have more than two real zeros?

No, a quadratic function can have at most two real zeros. This is because a quadratic function is a polynomial of degree 2, meaning it can have at most 2 roots.

How do I know if a quadratic function has real or imaginary zeros?

You can determine whether a quadratic function has real or imaginary zeros by looking at its discriminant. If the discriminant is positive, the function has two real zeros. If the discriminant is zero, the function has one real zero. If the discriminant is negative, the function has two imaginary zeros.