Finding resultant force on a segment of submerged wall

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of force applied by 2 liters of water on a highlighted wall with a height of 10mm and a full water body height of 125mm. The equation used is P(h) = C(125-h), where C is the pressure per unit height of the column. The constant C is determined by the volume per unit height of the column, gravity, and the density of water. The final result is obtained by integrating the equation or by using geometry. However, there is confusion and different opinions on the correct approach to take. The speaker is asking for a step-by-step explanation to help them understand the problem better.
01SpAcE01
Member warned about posting with no effort and no template
Please see the attached image. I understand the area represents the resultant force per unit width. But I'm unsure what equation to come up with for the purple area. I'd appreciate a little patience here, it's been ages since I did this.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using to determine the width of the triangle? Is that just some constant times the depth, essentially the pressure from the column of water?
Does the column have volume or are you just working with 2D? I don't know what physical constants to use, so I will call it C.
Your triangle is defined by one side which is 125mm high, and 125Cmm wide. The width at any given height h is C(125-h). You could either use calculus or geometry to find out the area contained between h = 0 and h= 10mm.

RUber said:
What are you using to determine the width of the triangle? Is that just some constant times the depth, essentially the pressure from the column of water?
Does the column have volume or are you just working with 2D? I don't know what physical constants to use, so I will call it C.
Your triangle is defined by one side which is 125mm high, and 125Cmm wide. The width at any given height h is C(125-h). You could either use calculus or geometry to find out the area contained between h = 0 and h= 10mm.

Thanks for the response, sorry therre wasn't enough info. This is 3 dimensional. Needing to now how much force 2 litres of water will put on the highlighted wall of 10mm with a full water body height of 125mm.

Attachments

• twat.PNG
    twat.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 411
01SpAcE01 said:
Thanks for the response, sorry therre wasn't enough info. This is 3 dimensional. Needing to now how much force 2 litres of water will put on the highlighted wall of 10mm with a full water body height of 125mm.
According to Pascal's Law, hydrostatic pressure is proportional to the depth of the fluid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law

or, mathematically speaking:

p = ρ g h

where

p = pressure in pascals (1 pascal = 1 N / m2)

ρ = density of the fluid (ρ water = 1000 kg / m3)

g = acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 m/s2

h = height of fluid above point of interest, in meters

The little doo-dad shown in the second picture is probably circular, with a diameter of 10 mm. Since pressure changes with depth, you'll have to integrate p over the circular area of this plug.

What do you mean with integrate over the circular area? It's been too long since I did integration. Let's say the area of that 10 mm wall was 3x10^-4 m^2, could you guide me on calculating the approximate force applied aganst it form the water? -I'd really appreciate the help. I'm trying to manage too much at the moment.

Attached is a simplified model of the part.

Attachments

• yhbt.jpg
    yhbt.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
01SpAcE01 said:
What do you mean with integrate over the circular area? It's been too long since I did integration. Let's say the area of that 10 mm wall was 3x10^-4 m^2, could you guide me on calculating the approximate force applied aganst it form the water? -I'd really appreciate the help. I'm trying to manage too much at the moment.

Attached is a simplified model of the part.

...Is there anybody out there?

I think your first diagram may have been sufficient. The question is, what are you going to use as your constant?
If you have 2L = 2000 cm^3 of water, in something 125mm=12.5 cm high, you can assume that the cross-sectional area of the column is 160cm^2.

As SteamKing mentioned, gravity is 9.81 m/sec^2 and the density of water is 1 g/cm^3, so you still return to
P(h) = C (125-h), where C is the pressure per unit height of the column.

You are looking for the pressure from h = 0 to h = 10.
##\int_0^{10} C(125-h) = 125(10) - \frac{10^2}{2}##
Or, with geometry,
The width of the triangle at h= 10 is 115C.
The width of the triangle at h = 0 is 125C.
The rectangle with dimensions 10mm x 115Cmm has area ...
The triangle with height 10mm and base length 10C has area...
Total area = area of rectangle + area of triangle.

Both approaches lead to the same result. So...what is C?

RUber said:
I think your first diagram may have been sufficient. The question is, what are you going to use as your constant?
If you have 2L = 2000 cm^3 of water, in something 125mm=12.5 cm high, you can assume that the cross-sectional area of the column is 160cm^2.

As SteamKing mentioned, gravity is 9.81 m/sec^2 and the density of water is 1 g/cm^3, so you still return to
P(h) = C (125-h), where C is the pressure per unit height of the column.

You are looking for the pressure from h = 0 to h = 10.
##\int_0^{10} C(125-h) = 125(10) - \frac{10^2}{2}##
Or, with geometry,
The width of the triangle at h= 10 is 115C.
The width of the triangle at h = 0 is 125C.
The rectangle with dimensions 10mm x 115Cmm has area ...
The triangle with height 10mm and base length 10C has area...
Total area = area of rectangle + area of triangle.

Both approaches lead to the same result. So...what is C?

thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated! With regards to C how do I find this out?

For the physical constant, check out what SteamKing posted. It will be based on the volume per unit height of the column, Gravity, and the density of water. You should have all those values.

RUber said:
For the physical constant, check out what SteamKing posted. It will be based on the volume per unit height of the column, Gravity, and the density of water. You should have all those values.

Why am I not understanding this?

I've done an engineering degree and this isn't making sense. Could someone please just take me through to the answer step by step for the new dimensions attached. I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

• wtf1.PNG
    wtf1.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 388
How can it be that nobody is clear on this. I've had other people look at this and they are telling me different. Please someone clarify this.

01SpAcE01 said:
How can it be that nobody is clear on this. I've had other people look at this and they are telling me different. Please someone clarify this.
Well, what are these other people telling you? How do you know they aren't wrong?

I think the replies you have been given are clear, but as you yourself asked, "Why am I not understanding this?"

We can only do so much in the HW forums without violating the rules. Providing a step-by-step solution is a Bright Red Violation of those rules.

Now, if you were to provide your own attempt at calculating what the hydrostatic force is, then you'll get comments on whether you are taking the correct approach or not.

Ah OK, I didn't know that was the rule. Confusion comes from being advised to just use the normal hydrostatic equation - density x gravity x height and multiplying it with the area for force. Then I'm looking online and seeing hydrostatic force being calculated differently (seemingly) taking a resultant force from a triangle.

If someone can just use the image I posted and take me through it with and explanation and a solution, it will make this less confusing.

The triangle analogy is based on the idea that the force changes proportionally to the depth.
The approach where you multiply the force by an area used a constant mean pressure assumption, probably at the midpoint of the plate's height.

1. How do you calculate the resultant force on a segment of submerged wall?

To calculate the resultant force on a segment of submerged wall, you will need to first determine the pressure distribution on the wall. This can be done by multiplying the density of the fluid by the gravitational acceleration and the depth of the fluid at that point. Then, you will need to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the pressure distribution. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force and use trigonometric functions to determine its direction.

2. What factors affect the resultant force on a submerged wall?

The resultant force on a submerged wall is affected by several factors, including the density and depth of the fluid, the size and shape of the wall, and the angle at which the wall is positioned relative to the fluid flow. The presence of other objects in the fluid, such as other walls or obstacles, can also impact the resultant force on the wall.

3. How does the angle of the submerged wall affect the resultant force?

The angle of the submerged wall can significantly affect the resultant force. If the wall is perpendicular to the fluid flow, the resultant force will be at its maximum magnitude. As the angle of the wall decreases, the magnitude of the resultant force will also decrease. If the wall is parallel to the fluid flow, there will be no resultant force acting on it.

4. Can the resultant force on a submerged wall be negative?

Yes, the resultant force on a submerged wall can be negative. This can occur if the direction of the fluid flow is opposite to the direction of the wall, resulting in a negative horizontal component of the pressure distribution. In this case, the resultant force would be pulling the wall towards the fluid, instead of away from it.

5. Is the resultant force on a submerged wall the same at all points along the wall?

No, the resultant force on a submerged wall is not the same at all points along the wall. It varies based on the pressure distribution, which is affected by the factors mentioned earlier. The resultant force will be at its maximum at the point where the wall is perpendicular to the fluid flow and will decrease as the angle of the wall changes. Additionally, the resultant force may be different at different depths of the fluid, depending on the pressure distribution at those points.