Finding riccati solution of A*X+A'*X+X*W*X+Q

• Thread starter gs
  • Start date
In summary, the existence of X that stabilises the equation A*X+A'*X+X*W*X+Q can be determined by the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian matrix H, which is given by H=[A W; Q -A]. If the eigenvalues of H are not on the imaginary axis, it is possible for X to exist with real parts of eigenvalues greater than zero. However, this condition is not sufficient to determine the existence of X, as it also depends on the stability of A+W*X. The relation between the eigenvalues of H and A+W*X is only valid for a stable X, making it a sufficient condition for X to exist. However, if A+W*X is unstable, this condition alone cannot
gs
in finding riccati solution of

A*X+A'*X+X*W*X+Q that is

X which stabilises A+W*X(real parts of eigen values are <0) ,it’s existence can
Found out by
Eigen values of Hamiltonian matrix H given by

H MATRIX=
!A W!
!Q -A!
because we have the relation

EIGEN VALUE OF H ARE GIVEN BY= EIGENVALUES OF (A+W*x)& - (A+W*x);

In text it is stated as if there is no eigen values of H are on imaginary axis then X exists

Means it can have in real parts of ( eigen values can be >0)

This can be possible
If A+W*x has negative real parts

And also A+W*x has positive real parts in which it is un stable

If it is so how can we say that just H matrix not having eigen values on imaginary axis is
Sufficient for X toexist
Can anyone explain me about this
Thanking you

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't hamiltonian be a hermite operator [tex]H=H^{\dagger}[/tex]. Then you would have W=Q*.

Last edited:
ya itis right but how it explains the existence of X

If you could rephrase the text I might help you more.

my point is to if H has real parts of eigen values greater than zero;which may be due to either A+W*X is having eigen values greater than zero;ordue to -(A+W*X)in which
case A+W*X has negative eigenvalues .hence we cannot say whether X exists or not just by looking at the any eigen values on imaginary axis ;means this condition for existence of X is not sufficient ,which is my understanding but in text it stated is sufficient ,i want to know how can it.

Well, sorry I cannot help you with that.

thing is the relation of eigen values of H and eigen values A+W*X is valid only for X Stable.hence it is sufficient

1. What is the Riccati equation and why is it important?

The Riccati equation is a type of differential equation that is used to describe the evolution of a system over time. It is important in many areas of science, including control theory, economics, and physics, as it allows us to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. How do I find the solution to the Riccati equation?

Finding the solution to the Riccati equation can be a complex process, but one method is to use the matrix form A*X+A'*X+X*W*X+Q=0, where A, A', and W are matrices and Q is a constant matrix. This can be solved using numerical methods or by hand depending on the complexity of the equation.

3. What is the significance of the A, A', and W matrices in the Riccati equation?

The A, A', and W matrices represent the coefficients of the equation and are essential in determining the behavior of the system. The A matrix represents the system's dynamics, while A' and W represent the system's control inputs and disturbances, respectively.

4. Can the Riccati equation be solved for any type of system?

Yes, the Riccati equation can be applied to any type of system that can be described by a set of differential equations. However, the complexity of the equation and the difficulty in finding a solution may vary depending on the system's characteristics.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Riccati equation?

Yes, the Riccati equation has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, finance, and physics. It is commonly used in control systems to design optimal controllers and in economics to model and predict economic systems.