Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding simplest radical form of a 4th root?

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    I haven't taken math in years and am having trouble understanding how to find simplest radical form of a 4√(x14).

I said x4√x10.

I realize I have 3 x4ths and x2 but I'm not sure if I can pull out more xs.

What are the rules for this? Ideas, insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For each occurance of x^4 as a factor in the term of the radicand, you have x to move to outside of the radical function.

[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^{14}}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^2}[/itex]

=[itex]x^3\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex]

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Can you simplify [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] still further to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], or does that fall foul of something like principal roots?

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Apollinaria!

There are a few rules for dealing with radical form, powers from powers, and sums of powers.
    Here's how it works in your case:
    $$\sqrt[4]{x^{14}} = (x^{14})^{\frac 1 4} = x^{14 \cdot \frac 1 4} = x^{3 + \frac 1 2} = x^3 \cdot x^{\frac 1 2} = x^3 \sqrt x$$

6. Jan 16, 2013 #5
    That doesn't work if x is negative. If you are considering all the complex roots, then [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] has 4 roots and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] has 2.

But, I think it works if you group together the solutions like [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{-x}[/itex].

7. Jan 16, 2013 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

With the assumption that x is a non-negative real, it can be safely simplified.

If x can be a negative real, we have that √(x2) = |x| and 4√(x2)=√|x|.
    However, in general we need to be very careful with negative real numbers and fractional powers.
    They are generally not well-defined.
    See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Rational_exponents
    (The last couple of lines of the section.)

If x can be a complex number, it becomes even worse:
    See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Failure_of_power_and_logarithm_identities

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook