1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding simplest radical form of a 4th root?

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    I haven't taken math in years and am having trouble understanding how to find simplest radical form of a 4√(x14).

I said x4√x10.

I realize I have 3 x4ths and x2 but I'm not sure if I can pull out more xs.

What are the rules for this? Ideas, insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

For each occurance of x^4 as a factor in the term of the radicand, you have x to move to outside of the radical function.

[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^{14}}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt[4]{x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^4\cdot x^2}[/itex]

=[itex]x^3\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex]

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Can you simplify [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] still further to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], or does that fall foul of something like principal roots?

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Apollinaria!

There are a few rules for dealing with radical form, powers from powers, and sums of powers.
    Here's how it works in your case:
    $$\sqrt[4]{x^{14}} = (x^{14})^{\frac 1 4} = x^{14 \cdot \frac 1 4} = x^{3 + \frac 1 2} = x^3 \cdot x^{\frac 1 2} = x^3 \sqrt x$$

6. Jan 16, 2013 #5
    That doesn't work if x is negative. If you are considering all the complex roots, then [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] has 4 roots and [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] has 2.

But, I think it works if you group together the solutions like [itex]\sqrt[4]{x^2}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{-x}[/itex].

7. Jan 16, 2013 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

With the assumption that x is a non-negative real, it can be safely simplified.

If x can be a negative real, we have that √(x2) = |x| and 4√(x2)=√|x|.
    However, in general we need to be very careful with negative real numbers and fractional powers.
    They are generally not well-defined.
    See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Rational_exponents
    (The last couple of lines of the section.)

If x can be a complex number, it becomes even worse:
    See for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Failure_of_power_and_logarithm_identities

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook