Finding Solution to Laplace Equation

In summary, the technique of "separation of variables" allows us to solve for a solution \Phi in a "separable coordinate system" by assuming a separable solution and obtaining 3 ODEs for each variable. We can then write the solution as a linear combination of complete/orthonormal functions and use boundary conditions and orthogonality to find the coefficients. This is different from the general expansion of a function in orthogonal functions and is a distinct method for finding solutions. The only way to know that separation of variables works is by finding a solution that satisfies the boundaries and \nabla^2\Phi = 0 in the region under consideration.
Nick R
Usually, we use the technique of "separation of variables" as follows:

In a "separable coordinate system", we assume a separable solution

[tex]\Phi=A(a)B(b)C(c)[/tex]

Then we obtain 3 ODEs for A(a), B(b), C(c)

We note that there are actually entire families of solutions to each ODE, that happen to be complete/orthonormal. So we can write A(a), B(b), C(c) as linear combinations of these guys:

[tex]A(a)=\sum E_n A_n(a)[/tex]
[tex]B(b)=\sum F_n B_n(b)[/tex]
[tex]C(c)=\sum G_n C_n(c)[/tex]

Then we use the boundary conditions and exploit the orthogonality of [tex]A_n, B_n, C_n[/tex] to find the coefficents [tex]E_n, F_n, G_n[/tex]. This involves integrating at the boundaries.

So we get

[tex]\Phi=\sum_i\sum_j\sum_k D_{ijk} A_i (a)B_j (b)C_k (c)[/tex]

Where

[tex] D_{ijk} = E_i F_j G_k [/tex]

OK. Easy.

NOW HERE COMES THE QUESTION

WHY can't I expand [tex] \Phi [/tex] in some other set of functions?

In general, I can expand any 3 variable function like so

[tex] \sum_n \sum_m \sum_l A_{nml} \zeta_n (x) \nu_m (y) \mu_l (z) [/tex]

Where the coefficients are

[tex] \int \int \int \Phi \zeta_n^* (x) \nu_m^* (y) \mu_l^* (z) dx dy dz [/tex]

Well, I suppose I answered my own question... You have to KNOW [tex]\Phi[/tex] to find the coefficients in this general case: but the technique of separation of variables allows us to find the coefficients without knowing [tex]\Phi[/tex] in the first place...

And the other way to do it would be to find a set of orthogonal functions that are eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator... Then we don't need to know [tex]\Phi[/tex] apriori to find the coefficients either - and this works for finding solutions to Poisson's equation as well (which is good because we can't use separation of variables there).

Because I spent so long thinking about this, I am going to press "submit" for the heck of it and see if I get any interesting comments. This was motivated by wondering WHY separation of variables actually works (without a doubt) and the answer seems to be, because it is really equivalent to expanding [tex]\Phi[/tex] in a complete set of functions (a very specific set of complete functions - so that we can actually find the coefficients in the linear combination).

Physics news on Phys.org
OK so yesterday I somehow lost sight of how you actually do separation of variables when I typed out the above.

Yesterday I said we assume

[tex]\Phi = \Phi=A(a)B(b)C(c) [/tex]

Where

[tex]A(a)=\sum E_n A_n(a)[/tex]
[tex]B(b)=\sum F_m B_m(b)[/tex]
[tex]C(c)=\sum G_l C_l(c)[/tex]

And then find coefficients using boundary conditions/orthogonality then write the answer as a triple sum.

No!

Actually, we find

[tex]\phi_{nm} = A_n(a)B_m(b)C_{nm}(c)[/tex]

and represent [tex]\Phi[/tex] as a double sum of these two index "separable solutions"

[tex]\Phi = \sum_n\sum_m D_{nm}\phi_{nm} [/tex]

And use orthogonality/boundary conditions to find the coefficients [tex]D_{nm}[/tex]

This is distinctly different from the general expansion for a function of three variables. I.e. doing separation of variables and doing an expansion of a function in orthogonal functions are totally different things.

So apparently, the only way to know that separation of variables works is, if you find a solution that satisfies the boundaries, and that obeys [tex]\nabla^2\Phi = 0[/tex] in the region under consideration, then that's the only possible solution...

Gosh what a waste of time.

1. What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in a given region. It is used in various fields of science and engineering to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics.

2. Why is finding a solution to Laplace's Equation important?

Finding a solution to Laplace's Equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It can help us optimize designs, make accurate predictions, and solve complex problems in various fields.

3. What are some methods for solving Laplace's Equation?

There are several methods for solving Laplace's Equation, including separation of variables, the method of images, and the method of Green's functions. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

4. How does Laplace's Equation relate to the concept of harmonic functions?

Laplace's Equation is closely related to the concept of harmonic functions, which are functions that satisfy the Laplace equation. These functions have many useful properties, such as being infinitely differentiable and having a unique maximum and minimum value within a given region.

5. What are some real-world applications of Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation has many real-world applications, including modeling the flow of heat in materials, predicting the potential in electronic circuits, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes and channels. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and other fields of science and engineering.