Series expansion for 2D dipole displaced from the origin

In summary, the conversation discusses using an infinite series of rho and cos(n*phi) to solve the Laplace equation in polar coordinates. The focus is on calculating the potential due to a 2D line dipole and the discrepancies in the coefficient An when considering different values of rho in the integral. The issue of differing results when using different An values is also brought up.
dilloncyh
I learn that we can expand the electric potential in an infinite series of rho and cos(n*phi) when solving the Laplace equation in polar coordinates. The problem I want to consider is the expansion for the potential due to a 2D line dipole (two infinitely-long line charge separated by a small distance). In the attached image, I have written down the potential due to a line dipole (I'm pretty sure it's correct, at least the dot product and the dependence on D and r). Now I place the perfect line dipole at a position (-x0,0), and I want to calculate the potential in terms of the infinite series. The problem is that the coefficient An is different depending on whether rho is bigger than or smaller than x0 when I solve the integral using contour integral (again, pretty sure the definite integral is done correctly). At the 'imaginary' boundary of rho=x0, the potential calculated using the two different An should give the same results, but now they differ by a sign. Why is that? What have I done wrong?

Attachments

• dipole_problem.jpg
    dipole_problem.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 470
It's not the same A_n for each case. The expansion has one set of coefficients for r^n and a second set, B_n, for 1/r^n.

What is a series expansion for 2D dipole displaced from the origin?

A series expansion for 2D dipole displaced from the origin is a mathematical representation of the electric potential or electric field produced by a dipole that is not located at the origin in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of dipoles in various configurations.

How is a series expansion for 2D dipole derived?

A series expansion for 2D dipole is derived using mathematical techniques such as Taylor series or Fourier series. These techniques involve breaking down the electric potential or electric field into a sum of simpler functions that can be easily manipulated and analyzed.

What is the significance of a series expansion for 2D dipole?

A series expansion for 2D dipole allows us to approximate the behavior of a dipole in a non-ideal situation, where the dipole is not located at the origin. This can be useful in understanding the effects of dipole displacement on electric fields and potential, and can also aid in the design of electrical systems.

What are some limitations of a series expansion for 2D dipole?

One limitation of a series expansion for 2D dipole is that it is an approximation and may not accurately capture the behavior of a dipole in all situations. Additionally, the series may only converge for certain values of the dipole displacement, making it less useful in some scenarios.

How is a series expansion for 2D dipole used in practical applications?

A series expansion for 2D dipole is used in practical applications such as antenna design, circuit analysis, and electromagnetic simulations. It allows engineers and scientists to analyze the behavior of dipoles in complex configurations and make predictions about the behavior of electric fields and potential in these systems.