Finding Standing Waves of a Certain Disperssion

These equations represent two independent harmonic oscillations, with frequencies given by:\omega_{cm}=\sqrt{\frac{2\alpha}{m}}and\omega_{rel}=\sqrt{\frac{-2\alpha}{m}}Notice that \omega_{cm} is always positive, while \omega_{rel} is always negative. This means that the center of mass oscillation always has a positive frequency, while the relative position oscillation always has a negative frequency.Now, if we consider a solution where the center of mass is stationary (u_{cm}=0), then the relative position must
elibj123

Homework Statement

I have a system of infinite particles which when stationary are parted with distance a.
Their movement is described with
[tex]mu^{..}_{n}=\alpha(u_{n+1}+u_{n-1}-2u_{n}[/tex]

From which (assuming the solution is an harmonic wave) I got the dispersion:
[tex]\omega(k)=2\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{m}}\left|sin(\frac{ka}{2})\right|[/tex]

where all the constants are given. One of the questions is:
"Find a frequency w over which the wave is a standing wave"

Homework Equations

Form of the solution:
[tex]u_{n}(t)=ue^{i(kna-\omega(k)t)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out that I can bound k to the interval [-2pi/a,+2pi/a]
(for every other k there's a corresponding k in the interval, for which the solution is the same)
But I have no idea what to do next
but maybe if for some k, w(k)=-w(-k) then summing the wave k and wave -k, will
result in a standing wave. But the only k that satisfies this is k=0, for which there is no wave at all.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with finding a frequency over which the wave is a standing wave.

Firstly, let's review the equation you have provided:

mu^{..}_{n}=\alpha(u_{n+1}+u_{n-1}-2u_{n})

This equation describes the movement of your infinite particles, where mu^{..}_{n} represents the acceleration of the nth particle, u_{n+1} and u_{n-1} represent the positions of the particles on either side of the nth particle, and u_{n} represents the position of the nth particle. The constant alpha is related to the stiffness of the system and m represents the mass of each particle.

You have correctly found the dispersion relation for this system, which relates the frequency (w) to the wavenumber (k), given by:

\omega(k)=2\sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{m}}\left|sin(\frac{ka}{2})\right|

To find a frequency over which the wave is a standing wave, we need to find values of k that satisfy the condition that \omega(k)=-\omega(-k). This means that for every positive value of k, there must be a corresponding negative value of k that results in the same frequency.

You have correctly identified that k=0 is the only value of k that satisfies this condition, but as you mentioned, this results in no wave at all. However, there is another way to create a standing wave using this system. Instead of considering one particle, we can consider a pair of particles that are separated by a distance of a. Let's label these particles as u_{n} and u_{n+1}.

The equation for the movement of these two particles would be:

m(u^{..}_{n}+u^{..}_{n+1})=\alpha(u_{n+1}+u_{n-1}-2u_{n})

We can rewrite this equation in terms of the center of mass (u_{cm}) and relative position (u_{rel}) of the two particles, given by:

u_{cm}=\frac{u_{n}+u_{n+1}}{2}

u_{rel}=u_{n+1}-u_{n}

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

mu^{..}_{cm

1. How do you determine the dispersion relation for a given system?

The dispersion relation for a system is determined by analyzing the wave equation and the boundary conditions of the system. This can involve solving differential equations and using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis.

2. What is the significance of finding standing waves in a system?

Finding standing waves in a system can provide important information about the properties of the system, such as the resonant frequencies and modes of vibration. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of the system and designing more efficient and effective structures.

3. Can standing waves exist in all types of media?

Yes, standing waves can exist in all types of media, including solids, liquids, and gases. The conditions for standing waves to form may vary depending on the properties of the medium, but they can still occur in all types of media.

4. How does the dispersion relation affect the formation of standing waves?

The dispersion relation dictates the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave in a specific medium. In systems with a linear dispersion relation, the formation of standing waves is influenced by the boundary conditions and the resonance of the system. In systems with a non-linear dispersion relation, the formation of standing waves can be more complex and may involve multiple frequencies.

5. Are there practical applications for finding standing waves in a certain dispersion?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding standing waves in a certain dispersion. This includes applications in acoustics, optics, and electronics, such as in the design of musical instruments, optical filters, and electronic circuits. Additionally, understanding standing waves in a certain dispersion can also have applications in fields such as seismology and oceanography.