1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding stress energy tensor of a rod under tension

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    I am given a rod with mass per unit length [itex] \mu [/itex], cross sectional area A, and under a tension F. I am also told that the tension F is uniform over the cross sectional area A. Find the stress energy tensor inside the rod.

I know that for the stress energy tensor [itex] T^{00}[/itex] gives the energy density, [itex] T^{0i}[/itex] gives the energy flux through a i-surface, [itex] T^{i0}[/itex] gives the i-momentum density, and [itex] T^{ij}[/itex] gives the i-momentum flux through a j-surface.

I have that [itex] T^{00} = \mu / A [/itex] and that [itex] T^{0i} = T^{i0} = 0 [/itex] since the rod is stationary so the particles have no net momentum. As for [itex] T^{ij} [/itex], if i assume that the rod is lying lengthwise along the x axis, then [itex] T^{11} = F/A [/itex] since the momentum flux is the momentum per unit time per unit area or in other words the force per unit area. Then it seems to me that [itex] T^{ij} = 0 [/itex] for all other entries since the tension acts along the x direction.

Therefore the stress energy tensor only has 2 nonzero entries on the main diagonal, and the rest of the entries are 0. Am I missing something here? It seems too simple a form to have and I am not sure if i took everything into account.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?