1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding tangent lines to an ellipse that pass through a given point

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equations of all the tangent lines to x^2 + 4y^2 = 36 that pass through the point (12,3)

2. Relevant equations
    the derivative of the ellipse is dy/dx = -2x/8y
    (I'm not sure if that is correct, i have only recently learned implicit differentiation.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using a point on the ellipse as ( x , +- ((6 - x) /2)) and the point which was given, i used the slope formula for a line and then set that equal to the derivative. However, now i'm left with 2 variables, x and y. I am 100% positive that we aren't suppose to use a CAS to solve this question. Could someone please help me out:redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your equation for y at a point on the ellipse is wrong. The square root of (36 - x^2)/4 is not equal to (6 - x)/2.

I drew a quick sketch of the ellipse and found that its vertices are at (0, +/-3) and at (+/-6, 0). One of the tangent lines is horizontal.

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    then a point on the ellipse would be (x , root of (36 - x^2)/4 ) correct?. but even then wouldn't that leave me with the same problem when i set m = m

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Any point on the ellipse is (x, +/-sqrt((36 - x^2)/4).

The equation of the line is
    [tex] -\frac{\sqrt{36 - x^2}}{2} - 3 = \frac{x}{2\sqrt{36 - x^2}}(x - 12)[/tex]
    For the first expression on the left side, I chose the negative root, since I want a negative y value at the point of tangency in the fourth quadrant.
    Multiply both sides by the expression in the denominator on the right side.
    [tex]-(36 - x^2) - 6\sqrt{36 - x^2} = x^2 - 12x[/tex]
    Now move everything but the radical to the other side.
    [tex] - 6\sqrt{36 - x^2} = - 12x + 36[/tex]
    Simplify a bit.
    [tex] \sqrt{36 - x^2} = 2x - 6[/tex]
    Square both sides.
    [tex]36 - x^2 = 4x^2 - 24x + 36[/tex]
    [tex]5x^2 - 24x = 0[/tex]
    The last expression on the left side can be factored to give the x-values that are on the line, and that have the right slope. As it turned out, I didn't need to be concerned about using a negative expression for the y-value in the 4th quadrant, because I squared both sides later on. You do need to take into account that the y-value is negative at one point of tangency, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?