Tangent Lines to an Ellipse Passing Through an Outside Point

In summary: Basically, you just have to solve the system of equations. One equation is the derivative of the ellipse, and the other is the tangent line at the point (12,3). Once you solve for x and y in terms of each other, you plug one into the other to get the x-values you need. Then you plug those x-values into the original equation of the ellipse to get the corresponding y-values. The two points you get are the points where the tangent lines intersect the ellipse, and from there you can find the equations of the tangent lines. In summary, to find the equations of both tangent lines to the ellipse x^2+4y^2=36 that pass through the point (12,3), you need to solve
horacescope

Homework Statement

Find equations of both the tangent lines to the ellipse
x2 + 4y2 = 36
that pass through the point (12, 3).

Homework Equations

The equation of an ellipse is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1.
I converted the given equation to
x2/36 + y2/9 = 1 by dividing each value by 36.

The Attempt at a Solution

My online homework website is telling me I'm half right (I found the equation of ONE of the tangent lines to the ellipse passing through (12,3)). Here's what I have:

I took the derivative of the equation of the ellipse and got y' = -x/4y.
I set this value equal to the slope of a line passing through the point (12,3), (y-3)/(x-12). I then solved for x2 and y2 to find

x2=-4y2 + 12y + 12x
y2=-x2/4 + 3x + 3y

I then substituted these equations, one at a time, for the values of x2 and y2 in the original equation of the ellipse and solved for the unknown value. I think I took an unnecessary step doing that, but I need the practice! I found that

x=0
y=±3

I then determined the slopes of the lines passing through (0,3)-->(12,3) and (0,-3)-->(12,3). Clearly, the line running from (0,3)-->(12,3) has a slope of 0, and the equation of the line is y=3. This is the part that I got correct.
The slope of the line running through (0,-3)-->(12,3) I found to be 1/2. However, my homework website is telling me the equation y=1/2x-3 is incorrect.

Any assistance you can give me would be very appreciated! Honestly, we haven't gone over ANY problems like this in class, so the fact I'm even half right has been enormously satisfying. But I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong... I have a feeling I probably did something stupid, like dropped a negative sign somewhere. There are only 6 questions on this section's homework, so as it is I have an 83.3% and can't make an A unless I get this last piece of the last question correct. So frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
horacescope said:

Homework Statement

Find equations of both the tangent lines to the ellipse
x2 + 4y2 = 36
that pass through the point (12, 3).

Homework Equations

The equation of an ellipse is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1.
I converted the given equation to
x2/36 + y2/9 = 1 by dividing each value by 36.

My online homework website is telling me I'm half right (I found the equation of ONE of the tangent lines to the ellipse passing through (12,3)). Here's what I have:

I took the derivative of the equation of the ellipse and got y' = -x/4y.
I set this value equal to the slope of a line passing through the point (12,3), (y-3)/(x-12). I then solved for x2 and y2 to find

x2=-4y2 + 12y + 12x
y2=-x2/4 + 3x + 3y

I then substituted these equations, one at a time, for the values of x2 and y2 in the original equation of the ellipse and solved for the unknown value. I think I took an unnecessary step doing that, but I need the practice! I found that

x=0
y=±3

I then determined the slopes of the lines passing through (0,3)-->(12,3) and (0,-3)-->(12,3). Clearly, the line running from (0,3)-->(12,3) has a slope of 0, and the equation of the line is y=3. This is the part that I got correct.
The slope of the line running through (0,-3)-->(12,3) I found to be 1/2. However, my homework website is telling me the equation y=1/2x-3 is incorrect.

Any assistance you can give me would be very appreciated! Honestly, we haven't gone over ANY problems like this in class, so the fact I'm even half right has been enormously satisfying. But I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong... I have a feeling I probably did something stupid, like dropped a negative sign somewhere. There are only 6 questions on this section's homework, so as it is I have an 83.3% and can't make an A unless I get this last piece of the last question correct. So frustrating!

Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you got x^2=-4y^2 + 12y + 12x from your slope relation, then that tells you x^2+4y^2=12y+12x. x^2+4y^2=36. So 36=12y+12x. Solve that for y and substitute back into the ellipse equation. You should get two values of x that satisfy it. Not just x=0.

Last edited:
Thanks! Of course it was right in front of me!

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a stretched out circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called the foci, are constant.

How can a tangent line be drawn to an ellipse?

A tangent line to an ellipse can be drawn by connecting the point of tangency, where the line touches the ellipse, to the center of the ellipse. This line will be perpendicular to the radius of the ellipse at that point, making it a tangent line.

What does it mean for a tangent line to pass through an outside point?

When a tangent line to an ellipse passes through an outside point, it means that the line intersects with the ellipse at that point, creating a point of tangency. This outside point can be located anywhere outside of the ellipse, as long as the line intersects with the ellipse at that point.

How many tangent lines can be drawn from an outside point to an ellipse?

There can be two tangent lines drawn from an outside point to an ellipse. This is because an ellipse is a symmetrical shape and the two tangent lines will be on opposite sides of the ellipse, intersecting at the outside point.

What is the relationship between the tangent lines and the outside point?

The tangent lines drawn from an outside point to an ellipse are always equal in length. This is because they are both tangent to the ellipse at the same point, and the radius of the ellipse at that point is the same for both lines. Therefore, the tangent lines are congruent.