Y axis intercepts of ellipse tangents

In summary, the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent is the point on the y-axis where the tangent line of the ellipse intersects. To find the y-intercept, you must first find the slope of the tangent line, use the point-slope formula to calculate the equation of the tangent line, and then set x=0 to find the y-intercept. It can be negative depending on the position of the tangent line, and it represents the point where the tangent line touches the y-axis or the y-coordinate of the point of intersection on the ellipse. The y-intercept will change based on the position of the tangent line, with a steeper tangent line resulting in a farther y-intercept and a more horizontal tangent line resulting in a
Appleton

Homework Statement

It is given that the line y= mx + c is a tangent to the ellipse

[itex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/itex] if [itex]a^2m^2=c^2-b^2[/itex]

Show that if the line y=mx+c passes through the point (5/4, 5) and is tangent to the ellipse [itex]8x^2+3y^2=35[/itex], then c = 35/3 or 35/9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The tangents should be in the form
[itex]y=\pm \frac{c^2-b^2}{a^2}x+c[/itex]
I tried substituting this value for y into the equation of the given ellipse but it became a bit messy so I deployed a different tact:
The intersection of the tangents is equal to (5/4, 5), so multiplying the tangent equations together should give the point of intersection enabling me to solve for c

[itex]
y^2-2cy+c^2=\frac{c^2-b^2}{a^2}x^2\\
c=\frac{(x(\pm \sqrt{a^2y^2-a^2b^2+b^2x^2}))+ay^2}{a^2-x^2}
[/itex]

Substituting a=35/3 and b=35/8 gives 7.719285513 and 3.827106245.

When I insert these values into a graph drawing app they seem approximately correct whereas one of the given values in the question, 35/3, does not as far I can tell.

Are the values for c given in the question correct. Are my values for c correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you multiply tangent equations together and what do you expect as result?

You know a and b, so you get an equation involving m and c and known constants only.
The point (5/4, 5) gives another equation with m and c only. This one is linear, so I would use this and plug it into the other one. Ideally, you get the right two solutions for c.

7.719285513 and 3.827106245 are not 35/3 and 35/9.

mfb said:
How do you multiply tangent equations together and what do you expect as result?

You know a and b, so you get an equation involving m and c and known constants only.
The point (5/4, 5) gives another equation with m and c only. This one is linear, so I would use this and plug it into the other one. Ideally, you get the right two solutions for c.

7.719285513 and 3.827106245 are not 35/3 and 35/9.
Hi mfb, thanks for your reply. Do you mean that I should plug [itex]m=4-\frac{4}{5}c[/itex] into [itex]\frac{35}{3}m^2=c^2-\frac{35}{8}[/itex]?

When I do this I get values for c identical to those I had previously (although perhaps a bit more efficiently this time):

[itex]\frac{35}{3}(4-\frac{4}{5}c)^2=c^2-\frac{35}{8}\\
(c-\frac{560}{97})^2=\frac{313600}{9409}-\frac{68775}{2328}
[/itex]
c=7.719285508 or 3.827106245
This suggests to me that multiplying the tangent equations was legitimate if a little unnecessary. The aim was to eliminate the square root, which your method bypasses quite successfully.

My main question now is should I bin my book. Are the values for c stated in the question correct?

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your guidance, I'm not ruling out this possibility.

I think you swapped the values for a and b.

Isn't the convention to assign [itex] a[/itex] to the value of the semi major axis? In this case 35/3 > 35/8 so shouldn't a=35/3 and b=35/8?

To check I'm not mistaken I repeated the procedure above, swapping a and b, and ended up with the square root of a negative number.

The order of a and b does not matter, but it has to be consistent within the problem. The problem divides x^2 by a^2, so you cannot call that b^2.

WolframAlpha finds nice solutions - exactly those given.

Looks like the negative square root i produced above was an error. Having gone through it again I am able to produce the values for c in the question. Thank you for identifying my error in mixing up a and b.

Appleton said:

Homework Statement

It is given that the line y= mx + c is a tangent to the ellipse

[itex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/itex] if [itex]a^2m^2=c^2-b^2[/itex]

Show that if the line y=mx+c passes through the point (5/4, 5) and is tangent to the ellipse [itex]8x^2+3y^2=35[/itex], then c = 35/3 or 35/9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The tangents should be in the form
[itex]y=\pm \frac{c^2-b^2}{a^2}x+c[/itex]
I tried substituting this value for y into the equation of the given ellipse but it became a bit messy so I deployed a different tact:
The intersection of the tangents is equal to (5/4, 5), so multiplying the tangent equations together should give the point of intersection enabling me to solve for c

[itex]
y^2-2cy+c^2=\frac{c^2-b^2}{a^2}x^2\\
c=\frac{(x(\pm \sqrt{a^2y^2-a^2b^2+b^2x^2}))+ay^2}{a^2-x^2}
[/itex]

Substituting a=35/3 and b=35/8 gives 7.719285513 and 3.827106245.

When I insert these values into a graph drawing app they seem approximately correct whereas one of the given values in the question, 35/3, does not as far I can tell.

Are the values for c given in the question correct. Are my values for c correct?
I am just curious. For which class is this?, Real analysis?

TheMathNoob said:
I am just curious. For which class is this?, Real analysis?
The chapter of the book is called coordinate geometry. I'm not sure if there is a more appropriate title for this branch of maths.

1. What is the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent?

The y-intercept of an ellipse tangent is the point on the y-axis where the tangent line of the ellipse intersects.

2. How do you find the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent?

To find the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent, you first need to find the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the ellipse. Then, using the point-slope formula, you can calculate the equation of the tangent line. Finally, you can set x=0 in the equation to find the y-intercept.

3. Can the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent be negative?

Yes, the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent can be negative. It depends on the position of the tangent line relative to the ellipse.

4. What does the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent represent?

The y-intercept of an ellipse tangent represents the point where the tangent line touches the y-axis. It can also be interpreted as the y-coordinate of the point where the tangent line intersects the ellipse.

5. How does the y-intercept of an ellipse tangent change with respect to the position of the tangent line?

The y-intercept of an ellipse tangent will change based on the position of the tangent line. If the tangent line is steeper, the y-intercept will be farther away from the origin. If the tangent line is more horizontal, the y-intercept will be closer to the origin. Ultimately, the y-intercept of the tangent line will always be perpendicular to the tangent line at the point of intersection on the ellipse.