Finding Tension in Scaffolding

• Thread starter Dante5454
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in two vertical ropes supporting a scaffold with a window washer standing on it. Using the equations for static equilibrium, the center of gravity of the scaffold is first found and then used to calculate the torque in the downward direction. The total force due to the scaffold is divided equally between the two ropes. To determine the force due to the person, the ratio between the force on each rope is considered. By dividing the force of the scaffold between the two ropes based on this ratio, the correct tension can be found.
Dante5454
[SOLVED] Finding Tension in Scaffolding

Homework Statement

A 656N window washer is standing on a scaffold supported by a vertical rope at each end. The scaffold weighs 171N and is 4.58m long. Assume the window washer stands 1.33m from the left end. What is the tension in both ropes. (Answer in N)

Homework Equations

Static Equilibrium States [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Torques=0 also [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Forces=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for the center of gravity, using the left end as a datum using the equation (sum of moments)/(sum of masses) = center of gravity. Then, using my new point as the lever arm for the board's weight, I solved for torque in the downward direction and thought that tension should have to be equal. I am doing this as a part of an online course, and submitted my answer, which was incorrect. I could really use help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First get the force due to the scaffold itself. This is the obvious case with nobody on it - divide that equally between the two ropes.
Now work out the total force due to the person - obviously this weight must be added to the force on the ropes, but divided between them in some ratio.

Consider what the force on each rope would be if the person was standing 1, directly under the other rope, 2, in the centre of the platform ?

You don't have to actaully work out the moments - the ratio should be obvious.

Perfect! Thanks so much, mgb! I just took half of the force of the scaffold, 85.5 and added it to (1.33/4.58) for the left side, and added it to (3.25/4.58) for the right side. It worked perfectly! Thanks again!

What is tension in scaffolding?

Tension in scaffolding refers to the force that is exerted on the scaffolding structure due to the weight of the materials and workers on it. It is an important factor to consider in ensuring the safety and stability of the scaffolding.

How do you find tension in scaffolding?

Tension in scaffolding can be found by calculating the total weight of the materials and workers on the scaffolding and then determining the maximum working load of the scaffolding structure. The difference between the two values is the tension in the scaffolding.

Why is it important to find tension in scaffolding?

Finding tension in scaffolding is important because it helps ensure the safety and stability of the structure. If the tension is too high, the scaffolding may collapse, causing injuries or fatalities. It also helps in determining the maximum weight limit that can be placed on the scaffolding.

What factors can affect tension in scaffolding?

The weight of the materials and workers on the scaffolding, the design and construction of the scaffolding, and external factors such as wind and weather conditions can all affect tension in scaffolding. It is important to regularly check and adjust the tension as needed to maintain the safety of the structure.

Can tension in scaffolding be measured?

Yes, tension in scaffolding can be measured using load cells or dynamometers, which are devices that can accurately measure the force being exerted on the scaffolding. These measurements can help determine if the tension is within safe limits and if any adjustments need to be made.