Finding the area between 3 curves

In summary: Remember to account for the negative sign in front of the integral when you are finding the area. In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a region formed by three curves, represented by the equations fx=3x^3-3x, gx=3x, and hx=9-x. To solve, one must find the points where the curves intersect and then divide the region into a true triangle and a curved slice. This can be done by solving three systems of equations. The area can then be calculated by breaking it into two differences of integrals. One from point A to point B and another from point B to point C. The values obtained should be positive.
xstetsonx
fx=3x^3-3x, gx=3x, and hx=9-x. Find the area

I kown top - bottom and right - left. but in here i am not sure what to do and what the boundaries are. can some one show me the work how to do this problem? i am kinda confuse how to do this kind of problem with 3 curves. THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a picture? The region looks like a triangle, but the side formed by 3x^3-3x is curved. I would start by fining the verticies of the triangle... or the points where these lines intersect.

So we need to solve 3 systems of equations. Once you have done that you can divide the region into a true triangle and a curved slice. Find the areas of each separately.

sorry still don't know what to do. my book doesn't have any examples like this question

Look at this image:

4059633926_f5e8fc5039_m.jpg

First find the points where the graph intersects to form the triangle by solving these three systems of equations:

System 1
[tex]y=3x^3-3x[/tex]
[tex]y=3x[/tex]

A(x,y) =

System 2
[tex]y=3x^3-3x[/tex]
[tex]y=9-x[/tex]

B(x,y) =

System 3
[tex]y=9-x[/tex]
[tex]y=3x[/tex]

C(x,y) =

Now you can break it into two differences of integrals.

One from A to B and another from B to C.

ok i graphed and i found the 3 points. A:(1.4142,4.2426) B:(1.5958,7.4042) C:(2.25,6.75)
so when u say break it into 2 parts you mean (∫1.5958 on top, 1.4142 bottom (9-x)-(3x) dx)? am i heading to the right direction? if i am i don't know how to get the other part

The first integral will be:

[tex]\int_{x_1}^{x_2}(x^3-3x) -\int_{x_1}^{x_2}3x[/tex]

Where x1 and x2 are the x values from the points A and B. then add that to the 2nd integral:

[tex]\int_{x_2}^{x_3}(9-x) -\int_{x_2}^{x_3}3x[/tex]

Where x2 and x3 are the x values from the points B and C.

Don't just take my word for it! Make certian you understand *why* --think about the region each integral represents, shade in the graph if needed.

The values you found look reasonable, but it looks like you used a graphing calculator? If I were teaching this course I'd want an exact value in radicals. Just check that your prof. is OK with aprox. values.

HA. i see. and to get the exact radical you just set 9-x=3x^3-3x to get B and so on right? thank you so much btw

Yup. You'll get 3 solutions for that since the graphs intersect 3 times. Just pick the one with the largest value...

oops wait a minute why do i get a negative value when i do ∫ x^3-3x? and the bonds are 1.5958 and 1.4142 right? shoulden't they all be positive?

nvm my mistake

Last edited:
They should all be positive.

1. What is the formula for finding the area between 3 curves?

The formula for finding the area between 3 curves is to first find the points of intersection of the curves. Then, use the formula A = ∫[f(x) - g(x)] dx from the first point of intersection to the next point, and then from the second point of intersection to the third point of intersection. Repeat this process for each set of points of intersection and add the results together to find the total area.

2. Can I use any method to find the area between 3 curves?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to find the area between 3 curves, such as integration, geometry, or calculus. The best method to use may depend on the specific curves and the level of precision needed.

3. How do I know which curve is on top and which is on bottom?

To determine which curve is on top and which is on bottom, you can graph the curves and compare their positions. The curve that is above all the others at a specific x-value is considered to be on top, while the curve that is below all the others at a specific x-value is considered to be on bottom.

4. Can the area between 3 curves be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the area between 3 curves to be negative. This can happen if the top curve intersects with the bottom curve at a point where the top curve has a lower value than the bottom curve. In this case, the area between the curves would be considered negative.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the area between 3 curves?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding the area between 3 curves. For example, this concept is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a variable force, in engineering to determine the stress on a structure, and in economics to calculate the consumer surplus of a market. It can also be used in various other fields such as biology, chemistry, and finance.