Finding the Autocovariance function

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the autocovariance function (ACVF) of a stochastic process $X_t$ and a white noise process $Z_t$. The calculation of the ACVF for $X_t$ involves covariance between different time steps, and the question arises if $X_t$ and $Z_t$ have the same covariance given that $X_t$ is defined in terms of $Z_t$. The conclusion is that without further information about $X_t$, the covariance cannot be determined. Additionally, there is a discussion about the possibility of $Cov(X_t, Z_t) = 0$ due to $Z_t$ being white noise.
nacho-man
let $X_t = 0.5X_{t-1} + Z_t$ where $Z_t$ ~ $ WN(0,\sigma^2)$

I want to find the ACVF of both $X_t$ and $Z_t$, but I am a little bit confused.
Say for $X_t$
$$\gamma(h) = COV(0.5X_{t-1} + Z_t, 0.5X_{t-1+h} + Z_{t+h}$$
$ = 0.5^2COV(X_{t-1},X_{t-1+h}) + 0.5COV(X_{t-1},Z_{t+h}) + 0.5COV(Z_{t},X_{t-1+h}) + COV(Z_{t},Z_{t+h}) $then for say $h =-1$ could I still say that the
$0.5^2 COV(X_{t-1},Z_{t+h}) = 0.5 \sigma$ ? Or is there a difference because of the differing $X $ and $Z$ terms? How do I actually find the Covariance between X and Z, given that I only know the variance of Z?
Is it unmathematical to say since X = Two different values of Z, it will have the same variance?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the only information you have is $\{X_t: t \geq 0\}$ is a stochastic process, defined as $\forall t \geq 0: X_t = 0.5 X_{t-1}+Z_t$ where $Z_t \sim WN(0, \sigma^2)$. Am I right here? Is there no further information about $\{X_t: t \geq 0\}$?

Second, your calculation of the ACVF looks fine. Now, can you show how to compute a covariance?

nacho said:
then for say $h =-1$ could I still say that the
$0.5^2 COV(X_{t-1},Z_{t+h}) = 0.5 \sigma$ ?

What's your argument here?

Siron said:
First, the only information you have is $\{X_t: t \geq 0\}$ is a stochastic process, defined as $\forall t \geq 0: X_t = 0.5 X_{t-1}+Z_t$ where $Z_t \sim WN(0, \sigma^2)$. Am I right here? Is there no further information about $\{X_t: t \geq 0\}$?

Second, your calculation of the ACVF looks fine. Now, can you show how to compute a covariance?

What's your argument here?
Yup, there is no further information about $X$. And this is what I was confused about.

Since $X$ is valued in terms of $Z$ but at different time steps, would it also have the same Covariance as $Z$?

Otherwise, how would I determine the Covariance.

In my opinion:

the only things we can conclude are the following:
1. Since $Z_t \sim WN(0, \sigma^2)$ we can compute $\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_s], \forall s,t$.
2. To compute $\mbox{cov}[X_t,Z_t]$:
$$\mbox{cov}[X_t,Z_t]=\mbox{cov}[0.5 X_{t-1}+Z_t,Z_t]= 0.5 \mbox{cov}[X_{t-1},Z_t]+\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_t]$$

and ofcourse $\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_t]$ can be computed. The problem is that $X_t$ is a stochastic process where each $X_t$ is defined in function of $X_{t-1}$ and $Z_t$. So if we have no information about any of the $X_t$ then we can't get any concrete results.

Ps: where did you get this exercice?

Siron said:
In my opinion:

the only things we can conclude are the following:
1. Since $Z_t \sim WN(0, \sigma^2)$ we can compute $\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_s], \forall s,t$.
2. To compute $\mbox{cov}[X_t,Z_t]$:
$$\mbox{cov}[X_t,Z_t]=\mbox{cov}[0.5 X_{t-1}+Z_t,Z_t]= 0.5 \mbox{cov}[X_{t-1},Z_t]+\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_t]$$

and ofcourse $\mbox{cov}[Z_t,Z_t]$ can be computed. The problem is that $X_t$ is a stochastic process where each $X_t$ is defined in function of $X_{t-1}$ and $Z_t$. So if we have no information about any of the $X_t$ then we can't get any concrete results.

Ps: where did you get this exercice?

It was from a lecture slide. Professor has a habit of chucking a few questions from lecture slides into the exam, so I thought it'd be best if I had a concrete answer to it. He's gone away for now so I can't get into contact with him!

Is there any way to conclude that since $Z_t$ is White noise, ie IID that $Cov(X_t,Z_t) = 0$ ? I think that is the likely answer here anyway.

nacho said:
It was from a lecture slide. Professor has a habit of chucking a few questions from lecture slides into the exam, so I thought it'd be best if I had a concrete answer to it. He's gone away for now so I can't get into contact with him!

Is there any way to conclude that since $Z_t$ is White noise, ie IID that $Cov(X_t,Z_t) = 0$ ? I think that is the likely answer here anyway.

Maybe that'll clear some things up, but I'm not familiar with the concept White noise.

Related to Finding the Autocovariance function

1. What is the Autocovariance function?

The Autocovariance function is a mathematical tool used in statistics and signal processing to measure the linear relationship between a signal and its past values. It calculates the covariance between a signal and its delayed versions at different time lags.

2. How is the Autocovariance function calculated?

The Autocovariance function is calculated by taking the product of the signal and its delayed version at a specific time lag, and then averaging this product over the entire signal or a specified time interval. It is represented by the Greek letter gamma (γ) and is a function of the time lag.

3. What is the importance of the Autocovariance function?

The Autocovariance function is important because it provides valuable information about the temporal relationship between a signal and its past values. It can be used to analyze the periodicity, trends, and other patterns in a signal, and is also a key component in the calculation of the Autocorrelation function.

4. How is the Autocovariance function related to the Autocorrelation function?

The Autocovariance function and the Autocorrelation function are closely related. The Autocorrelation function is derived from the Autocovariance function by dividing each value by the variance of the signal. This normalization allows for the comparison of signals with different variances.

5. How is the Autocovariance function used in practical applications?

The Autocovariance function is widely used in various fields such as finance, economics, and signal processing. It is used to analyze time series data, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions about future values. It is also used in the estimation of parameters in statistical models and in the evaluation of forecasting methods.