1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Coefficiant of friction

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    A cart that weighs 1.5 kg is accelerating at .12 M/s^2 on a horizontal surface. The cart is being pulled by a weight of 50 grams. Find the coefficiant of friction.

I've been using F=ma so 1.5(.12)=.18N

the weight pulling is equal to .05kg(9.8)=.49N

.49-.18=.31N=Ff Ff=m(Fn) .31=m(1500) m (the coefficient of friction)= .0002

I dont feel like this is the right answer, can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    Check your calculation for the normal force...Where did you get 1500 from?

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    I thought in Normal force was measured in grams, not kilograms. That may be where I went wrong. So the proper equation should be .31/1.5=.2? That seems pretty simple and for some reason feel like I've messed up somewhere else but if that's all that I seem to have done wrong then thanks!

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    Again make sure all your calculations are correct...If the Ff = .31 N and the mass of the object is 1.5 kg use the equation µmg=Ff to solve for µ. I think you understand the concepts, just make sure you are doing the algebra correctly...

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forces are measured in Newtons. Grams and kilograms are used for mass, not force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook